yconic - Highschool to a large uni - How to prepare
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Highschool to a large uni - How to prepare

A photo of asian123 asian123
I plan to go to mcgill in montreal, there i have no family or anything, and ill be alone for 4 years. I think that i can handle the situation, but my parents dont think so. I come from a highschool in saudi arabia, and plan to go to a large university in the other side of the world with a differnt culture. How can i prepare for this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
First off - ASIAN PRIDE! :D
Second - posted this in the wrong area of the forum, but oh well.
Anyways - there isn't too much you can do to "prepare". Just make sure that when you pack up all your stuff to leave, get everything! Don't want to leave something important behind. One way to adjust is if you move in earlier than the move-in date, if possible. That way, you have some time to yourself to explore McGill and the city of Montreal. Make sure you ask for help where need be, I'm sure the residence offices will be very helpful.
I'm in the same boat as you, moving on to university in a city where I have no family or friends.
Time to start freshh.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BAcc2015 BAcc2015

@asian123 wrote
I plan to go to mcgill in montreal, there i have no family or anything, and ill be alone for 4 years. I think that i can handle the situation, but my parents dont think so. I come from a highschool in saudi arabia, and plan to go to a large university in the other side of the world with a differnt culture. How can i prepare for this?

One of my cousins from Oman is going to McGill this year. Lots of Middle Eastern students go to school in Canada. You have to leave home at some point!

Clubs are a great way to meet people. There are business clubs to meet people from your major and also cultural clubs if you that sort of thing makes you comfortable.

One thing to note is that Montreal is heavily French so you'd need to adapt to both English Canadian and French Canadian culture.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger
-make friends (french friends would be helpful)
-learn the transit system
-go in early to get some before-hand experience
-start learning french :/
-buy translation dictionary
-LAPTOP <<< important
-etc, cant think of them at the moment
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
That's the same question I have man. How difficult would it be to settle there and how much would it take to basically fit in? :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0