yconic - Home vs. Res
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Home vs. Res

A photo of RachelZammit RachelZammit
So my parents said that I could live in residence (and pay for it myself) or I could live at home and they would buy me a car... What are the pro's and con's of each?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of PurpleMustang PurpleMustang
It really depends on what you want to get out of your university experience. Personally, residence was an experience that I really wanted and - I was right about wanting it. It was one of the best aspects of my university education thus far. I've met amazing people and had a lot of fun. However, for some people, residence really isn't for them and they'd much prefer a car.

This is a subjective experience and boils down to personal preference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I would take residence, I think it's worth living in rez for at least first year. My rez suitemates are now my best friends from undergrad and we moved off campus together after first year. It's also super convenient to get to class, I would leave 5 mins before class started and still get there in time. I never needed a car during undergrad, the public transportation system was more than adequate at school or everything was within walking distance. I took the GO bus to go home on weekends. Even when I moved off-campus in 2nd year, I still never needed a car. I'm in professional school now and still don't have/need a car, though I am getting one within the next couple of years (only because I need it for 4th year clinical rotations though).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Which school?

I lived at home during my undergrad and I can safely say it was the right decision for me. The summer after 3rd year I went to Germany and lived in a dorm-like setting with a bunch of Lister kids (the U of A residence) and I really didn't like it. I even had my own room and it still wasn't my favorite thing.

I also went to school in my hometown so I had a LOT of friends at my university already. I still made tons of new friends though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@RachelZammit wrote
So my parents said that I could live in residence (and pay for it myself) or I could live at home and they would buy me a car... What are the pro's and con's of each?

Everyone is different, but to me this is a no-brainer. Either you pay about $10,000 for rez, or get a car (gain an asset that's, what, $15,000ish assuming the car is new?). That's a difference in about $25k. Even if you get a second hand car, you're still saving a ton of money while getting your own ride.

I lived in rez. It is a good setting to meet people and make friends, but it's not like you can't do that living at home. If you make the effort to be social, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Cars are depreciating assets that require a lot of investment. Parents aren't going to pay for that car forever, that's for sure. And once they no longer do, it's a huge cost to keep up with.

Cars also tend to be a typical parental bargaining tool. Once you're beholden to them, they'll use it as leverage. Probably not a problem if you have a very good relationship with your family, but if they're protective or overbearing, it's more likely worth it to be on your own.

I just think the post above this one is overstating the benefits of a car bigtime, especially if you live in a city with good public transit. Maybe you should offer to take the bus and pocket the cash they offered you for a car?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emma1330 emma1330
Living by yourself during your first year of university is really, really awesome. Coming in to it, I *expected* it to be awesome, and it still exceeded all of my expectations. If you're the type of person that wants going to university to not only be a place to get your degree, but also a place to make lifelong friends, "discover" yourself, and just have an overall great experience, you're really going to want to live in residence first year. I can't tell you firsthand that commuting isn't that bad, because I haven't been a commuter, but from what I've heard you miss out on all the great stuff that comes along with living with a bunch of other people who are also in first year, also wanting to make new friends, etc. Unless you're super introverted or just really don't care about meeting new people, in which case I'd take the car. If you have a really great first year experience, which it's hard not to, you'll have lifelong memories. These are the greatest years of your life and you should really take advantage of that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
Can you negotiate a compromise? I think the greatest value of living in rez comes in first year. You have a total immersion experience, really make lifelong friends, have extra time that is really useful for so much going on that first year. And a chance to grow and mature and become more independent.

So can you move to campus just for the first year, then stay at home and get a car (maybe a less expensive one) for the other years?

Was this helpful? Yes 0