yconic - Horrible in Math, okay in Science...Should I transfer to science program anyways??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Horrible in Math, okay in Science...Should I transfer to science program anyways??

A photo of peachtea87 peachtea87
I am going into my 2nd year at Waterloo this fall. I am majoring in psychology and I will be graduating with a Bachelor of Arts. Before, I knew that the chances of getting a job is extremely slim so I decided to go to graduate school for counseling psychology. Recently I was looking at the stats for graduate school and I got very discouraged because the chances of being accepted are approximately 20/300 applicants. I can't even get into my honours psychology program right now so graduate school isn't really an option for me anymore. To be honest, even though I love psychology, I can't see myself working in this field because I am horrible at giving advices to people and my oral communication skills isn't even close to the top.

In high school, I really loved biology and chemistry. However, my marks weren't that good. I finished grade 12 biology with a 81% and grade 11 chemistry with a 75%. I could've done better in grade 11 chemistry but I slacked off a the end and got 50% on my final exam so it dropped my average by 10%. Originally, my chemistry mark was 86%. But then again, my friend who is really strong in science helped me a lot in these 2 subjects...My worked my butt off in math..I even had a math tutor. The highest mark I ever received in high school math was 68% and the lowest was 61%.

I've been looking at other programs that I could possibly transfer to. This program called "Health Studies" under Applied Health Sciences really popped out at me because it's all about about health promotion, public health...improving people’s health, and preventing illness and disease. (I've always wanted to do something in the medical field but I got discouraged because of my marks) I graduate with a bachelor of science which is really great. I looked at the course requirements for this program and I see a few biology and chemistry courses and a few math courses in addition to these health courses I need to take. I don't know if I should transfer to this program or not. Math is really pulling me back and somewhat the science courses too.

Should I take this risk? Can you guys give me some opinions and advice? Or should I do a double degree in both fields?
Thank you so much. T_T I really appreciated it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
If you are interested in the "soft side" of health, that is, the social science side of health (policy, health promotion, etc.) than health studies is a good program. It definitely doesn't have a lot of science - those that want the science side of health generally go with the biomedical science program.

Just know that there aren't exactly a whole lot of jobs out there for health studies graduates either, unless you plan on doing a graduate or professional program afterwards (ie. pharmacy, optometry, masters of public health, physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.)

If the subject matter interests you though, and you are willing to put in the required work, it may be a good program for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You sound like you think a bachelor of science degree is better than a bachelor of arts in terms of employability, and it's not really. You still might have to do grad school.

That being said, the program you described sounds very interesting and could lead to an excellent career. I would doubt it's highly math intensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Personally, I think you should see what you can do over the next couple years to get summer jobs in one of these fields. Do what interests you most next year, then work and maybe you'll have a better idea of what you want to do. Also, I think people on these forums are a little over-obsessed with being "tops" and degrees. To get a job, you do not need to be in the top 5% of your class. In fact, many many people have fulfilling jobs and never went to post-secondary. So regardless of what you graduate with, you've proven that you're a capable and smart human being. If you go out and look for opportunities, they will be there. Don't worry so much about what jobs will or won't be there for you when you graduate- focus on what it is that you want to do for now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BryanaButlar BryanaButlar

@peachtea87 wrote

Should I take this risk? Can you guys give me some opinions and advice? Or should I do a double degree in both fields?
Thank you so much. T_T I really appreciated it.

I would suggest to go for a double degree. Because you are about to complete your bachelor's in arts in a year or two. But if you have an inclination towards making a career in science, then you can also go for another bachelor's degree. But opt for a course which would be having good job opportunities. Their are health technician course, nursing courses or a physical therapy courses in almost every reputed colleges. As far as I know there are very good scopes with physical therapy career nowadays. If you are concerned about wasting another 3-4 years, consider some online degree in physical therapy. The site http://physicaltherapycolleges.org/would help you in determining the career path in physical therapy. And if you want to go further with your studies, there are master's degree as well as doctoral program available in physical therapy. This would place you in a good position in hospitals and rehabilitation centers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0