yconic - How are my ECs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How are my ECs?

A photo of Ykama Ykama
Hello!

I'm a 11th grade international student wishing to pursue my undergrad business studies in Canada. Currently, I have three extracurricular activities:

- Joined the school enviromental group for sustainable development
- Joined the school simulation of the United Nations security and historical congresses
- Co-founded a start-up company designed to virtually share summaries of the school subjects (written by me) and therefore improve students' marks and academic accomplishment.

I plan to further develop those activities as I go through my High School years. My goals include becoming the principal director of the United Nations simulation debate club and travel to some distant places within my homecountry to study biodiversity with the environmental group.

Also, my grades (for now) are in the mid-nineties.

Hope some of you could give me an insight whether this is a solid plan to aim for acceptance into the top canadian business schools (like Ivey, Mcgill, Rotman and Schulich)

Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
If you can sell yourself well on three strong ECs, you should be fine. Your marks are great so you're probably well on track.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
Ivey looks for four elements: Leadership, achievement, commitment and initiative. If you can get all four of these in your top 3 activities, you should be fine. I would suggest holding more leadership roles in your above activities, but you should definitely be on the right track.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ykama Ykama

If you can sell yourself well on three strong ECs, you should be fine. Your marks are great so you're probably well on track.

Thank you! This is great to hear!

Ivey looks for four elements: Leadership, achievement, commitment and initiative. If you can get all four of these in your top 3 activities, you should be fine. I would suggest holding more leadership roles in your above activities, but you should definitely be on the right track.

Thank you a lot! I plan to develop those activities by taking more prestigious positions within the groups I'm currently in.

However, I'm not sure if this is going to be enough for some U.S schools I'm also going to apply (Harvard, Wharton, Yale and Michigan). Do you guys think this EC plan is also solid for these schools?

It's just a shame that here in my homecountry we don't have that many opportunities to get envolved. University admission here is all about the scores of one test!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ranhat ranhat

@Ykama wrote
Hello!

I'm a 11th grade international student wishing to pursue my undergrad business studies in Canada. Currently, I have three extracurricular activities:

- Joined the school enviromental group for sustainable development
- Joined the school simulation of the United Nations security and historical congresses
- Co-founded a start-up company designed to virtually share summaries of the school subjects (written by me) and therefore improve students' marks and academic accomplishment.

I plan to further develop those activities as I go through my High School years. My goals include becoming the principal director of the United Nations simulation debate club and travel to some distant places within my homecountry to study biodiversity with the environmental group.

Also, my grades (for now) are in the mid-nineties.

Hope some of you could give me an insight whether this is a solid plan to aim for acceptance into the top canadian business schools (like Ivey, Mcgill, Rotman and Schulich)

Thanks in advance!

Do your SATs and go to Harvard or another ivey league school, my friend had made it and he had a large ece but not quite as strong as yours. Like the first guy had said if you could sell yourself one your ece's itll be a breeze making it into any canadian buisness school

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ykama Ykama

Do your SATs and go to Harvard or another ivey league school, my friend had made it and he had a large ece but not quite as strong as yours. Like the first guy had said if you could sell yourself one your ece's itll be a breeze making it into any canadian buisness school

Thanks a lot for the support! I'm definitely going to apply to Harvard, it's my dream school!

But do you think that those U.S universities are looking for broad individuals with a huge variety of extracurriculars? I always thought I should concentrate and focus on few activities instead of having many of them. However, whenever I read a "chance me" thread for an ivey league school, people usually have tons and tons of impressive ECs.

I also have other activities outside of the classroom, but I'm not sure if they have any value:

- Private english classes
- Squash classes
- Was the director of a movie in high school for the cinema class

Thanks in advance, guys!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
TBH, I don't want to be harsh, but I dont think your ECs are not cut out for the Ivy Leagues, unless you are a minority, a first generation student, or from an unrepresented country.

It is not easy to get into Ivy Leagues, and I'm just saying this from statistics.

Ivy Leagues like many other American schools want to see passion and commitment in something you love, and have done significant achievements in them. Not saying it is impossible for you, but def. difficult.

Work on your SATs and make sure you have the hardest coure rigour in high school, e.g. AP or full IB diploma. They look at that too, and gather some great references (teachers, community, etc)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ykama Ykama

TBH, I don't want to be harsh, but I dont think your ECs are not cut out for the Ivy Leagues, unless you are a minority, a first generation student, or from an unrepresented country.

It is not easy to get into Ivy Leagues, and I'm just saying this from statistics.

Ivy Leagues like many other American schools want to see passion and commitment in something you love, and have done significant achievements in them. Not saying it is impossible for you, but def. difficult.

Work on your SATs and make sure you have the hardest coure rigour in high school, e.g. AP or full IB diploma. They look at that too, and gather some great references (teachers, community, etc)

I appreciate your sincere opinion!

Unfortunately, here in Brazil, where I live, we don't choose our courses. Every school has to teach the same subjects to all of its students. There's no university preparation studies (like AP courses)and our admission to university is based entirely or the results of one single test (created by the institution you are applying).

Also, extracurricular activities here are given no importance. There aren't thousands of clubs and opportunities to get envolved.

I will certainly do my best on the SAT and get some great teacher evaluations. My concern is, really, the number and rigor of my activities outside of the classroom.

Can anybody comment on my university admission plan? Do you guys think I stand a chance? If not, how could I improve it?

Thanks for all the insight!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111

@Ykama wrote

But do you think that those U.S universities are looking for broad individuals with a huge variety of extracurriculars? I always thought I should concentrate and focus on few activities instead of having many of them. However, whenever I read a "chance me" thread for an ivey league school, people usually have tons and tons of impressive ECs.

It's better to concentrate on a few ECs than to have a laundry list of them. Depth > Breadth.
Was this helpful? Yes 0