yconic - How are these marks for grade 9?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How are these marks for grade 9?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, so I am not fully sure if this is the right place to talk about it, but I want to know if these are good marks so far now that I have finished one out of my 4 years of high school.

Business and Tech - 99%
Geography - 94%
Religion - 93 %
Math - 91 %

UPDATE: I got my report card and I am somewhat happy...
Science - 90 %
Vocal Music - 91 %
French - 84 %
English - 74 %

In the end, I end up with an 89.5% average, or 90% when you round it correctly. I guess I can say that I am happy about my average, but I cannot believe I fell from a 91% to 84 % in French. :( At least I do not require it for university. However, I am going to have to make sure that I can raise my English average to around 90% in grade 12, as I know my courses will certainly require an English course in grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

Your marks are great -- keep up the good work! If you want to learn how to improve your English grades, your first step is to ask your teacher for advice. There could be a number of reasons for why your grade was lower than expected, and your teacher can probably point out a few areas you could work on. Generally, writing skills improve with lots of practice (including reading and writing) and by getting feedback on your writing. I have one specific piece of advice that I'd like to offer you: "Could of" is a common spelling mistake for "could've", which is the contraction for "could have".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You should be somewhat concerned about your English mark. If you can't bring it higher by grade 12 it could affect your acceptances. But otherwise it's grade 9, relax
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
^
... its grade 9... homework didnt exist for me in gr9, enough said :)
You could start worrying in gr11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The ironic thing is that my English teacher keeps on saying that I am doing a good job. She said that I keep on doing my homework, and even though I am trying my hardest, it is still good enough of a mark for her. This is the part I do not understand. In Canada, a 70+ is in the B's, which is at Provincial average, but how can this be good for an excellent student as for me? :/ She did mention that an 80 is always better to look at, but if your trying your hardest, it is the best you can do and no more...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
You should be somewhat concerned about your English mark. If you can't bring it higher by grade 12 it could affect your acceptances. But otherwise it's grade 9, relax

OF course I could always bring it up to am 85-90%, but I am just shocked at my mediocre mark in english in grade 9. Does English in later grades become any harder than it was in grade 9?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
You still have two full years before you even apply to university.

So don't let your english mark worry you, there's still 2 years to get better, and things can defiantly change in those 2 years
(i.e My english marks;
Grade 9: 85
Grade 10: 71
Grade 11: 75
)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks again. I do not want to be cocky, but I am asian, so my standards are a bit higher than my others (no offence). I guess I know what to expect in high school and how the marks work and such. I am just not use to seeing 70's in English. As well, I wish my French was still in the high 80's (86-88 % would have been fine)...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Is English your first language? That could definitely impact your ability in the course. Just doing your homework is often not enough in such a subjective class, you really need to master reading comprehension and writing. I wouldn't say English necessarily gets harder in the higher grades. It certainly becomes different. I took IB English and found it was at a much higher level than was expected for plain grade 12 English (which is why I got university credit for it).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Is English your first language? That could definitely impact your ability in the course. Just doing your homework is often not enough in such a subjective class, you really need to master reading comprehension and writing. I wouldn't say English necessarily gets harder in the higher grades. It certainly becomes different. I took IB English and found it was at a much higher level than was expected for plain grade 12 English (which is why I got university credit for it).

Yes, english is my main language. However, my teacher told me my mark is fine and should not worry much about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Bro like honestly, those marks are abysmal. Don't even bother continuing high school, you'll obviously not make the cut-off. Drop out and join the circus, that's the only option left.

Lol. What are you worrying about? Go enjoy your summer!

Enjoy these homeworkless days while you can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
First off, congratulations, those marks are great to begin with in grade 9. You did just about as well as I did that year. My English mark in Grade 9 wasn't great either- it was only an 82. It was because of all the new stuff that high school students were expected to do that I wasn't familiar with, so I did mess up a bit. But don't worry- the English courses later on are not much different other than your summative projects and the books you study. So as a result of getting used to high school English, I got 91s in the other three years.

Also, ignore chatmike- you are eligible for MOST cutoffs with marks like those. (I'm pretty sure he's just joking anyway). Just get used to doing English (and pray for better teachers), and you will have an average well over 90 in later years, which at that point will satisfy almost all university program cutoffs. Keep working hard, and good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
now that i think about it, i wouldn't have done much work in grade 9 maybe just get honor roll. that's what i did in grade 11, because only grade 12 matters. (and gr.11 if u want those scholarships)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote
now that i think about it, i wouldn't have done much work in grade 9 maybe just get honor roll. that's what i did in grade 11, because only grade 12 matters. (and gr.11 if u want those scholarships)

That's what us graduates would like to think, that grades 9 and 10 didn't matter and we should have just enjoyed ourselves. But I wouldn't suggest that to freshmen, since it would most likely make them lazy for the first three years and then make them want to kill themselves in their final year because the cut-off standards could be unachievable to them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Honestly I found grade 9-11 to pretty much be a balance of doing the minimal work while getting an "acceptable mark." For me, this was around 80 in grade 9-10, but I started aiming for 85+ in grade 11 so my work habits wouldn't have to take such a huge turn in grade 12. As stated, any marks before grade 12 do not matter for admission in the vast majority of cases. I don't regret it at all that I chose to enjoy myself in grades 9-11. The work habits do come into play but if they are manageable and you are meeting your goals, it should be fine. Honestly, I feel you're gonna burn out and be tired of school so quick if you're trying your hardest in grade 9.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
Honestly I found grade 9-11 to pretty much be a balance of doing the minimal work while getting an "acceptable mark." For me, this was around 80 in grade 9-10, but I started aiming for 85+ in grade 11 so my work habits wouldn't have to take such a huge turn in grade 12. As stated, any marks before grade 12 do not matter for admission in the vast majority of cases. I don't regret it at all that I chose to enjoy myself in grades 9-11. The work habits do come into play but if they are manageable and you are meeting your goals, it should be fine. Honestly, I feel you're gonna burn out and be tired of school so quick if you're trying your hardest in grade 9.

Like this person wrote, there's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself through high school (including your senior year). The key is to work hard for all the years, but not overexert yourself. OP, if you continue what you do, you should be totally fine. Just make sure you don't "take advantage" of low homework levels (which I'm sure you won't), as you could get overwhelmed later when they get higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
dude i hope you don't just study all day...man take advantage of the sports and clubs hopefully ur school offers. My marks went up after joining clubs and sports!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
English and French marks are weak, but I'm sure you already know that.

^ If that sounds kind of harsh, the reason that I'm being completely honest with you is that you still have a lot of time to improve. Your grade 9 marks don't matter. By grade 11 you should be aiming to have most, if not all of your marks in the 90s if you want to be competetive for major scholarships. Think about what brought your marks (especially English, you can drop French after grade 9) down, and how you can improve for next year.

Other than that, congrats on doing so well this year! It's great that you're thinking about this stuff so early, but don't obsess about it. You still have a long time before you actually have to worry about these things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
It's grade 9. Yes, it is important to develop a good study habit. However, you can also have fun and explore the ropes. Nevertheless, work hard as you can whenever you have the opportunity! Are you thinking of applying to U.S. schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
Take this advice...

join as my clubs as you can in grade 10.

Not just join, but get leadership positions in those clubs. Extra-curriculars are important in a number of schools' applications, and are usually always important for scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brebells brebells
Your grade 9 marks are great, I would just focus on working on your essay-building skills for English a lot more. Honestly, grade 9 and 10 marks won't matter at all. I would suggest working on studying/note-taking during these years so that you develop good habits and your marks for grade 11 and 12 are just as good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbdudgh dbdudgh
If you really worked hard in english (like you said) and only got a 74, you should be concerned..
But honestly, marks do change over the years depending on your teacher and your study habits. Personally, I never touched school work and did minimum to no preparation for tests and exams up to grade 11, maintaining a low 80s average[my gr 11 eng mark was 66 :)]. Then I actually did my work in gr 12 and had a couple of good teachers.. my average went way over 90s. I've seen many people do similar things..(I know one guy who used to get 60s average smartened up in gr 12 and got into mac health sci)
In short, don't worry and just make sure you work hard when it matters, whatever it takes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist

@TODude wrote
The ironic thing is that my English teacher keeps on saying that I am doing a good job. She said that I keep on doing my homework, and even though I am trying my hardest, it is still good enough of a mark for her. This is the part I do not understand. In Canada, a 70+ is in the B's, which is at Provincial average, but how can this be good for an excellent student as for me? :/ She did mention that an 80 is always better to look at, but if your trying your hardest, it is the best you can do and no more...

Haha, my Grade 11 English teacher said to the class, "You guys think 90s are good. I want you to know that I think 70s and high 70s are solid marks, it's a great job," and half the class facepalmed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
In Saskatchewan we don't even get credits for grade nine. You don't need to worry until grade eleven, though its good you're starting good habits early.

Also, dbdudgh is right, it will change largely on your teacher. This year for that 85, if I hadn't missed a major assignment, I probably would have ended the class with a 95 at least (yeah, I know, stupid decision) because it was mostly a lot of novel questions for big marks often. I had a teacher in grade ten who only did about seven assignments, all out of ten, no test that year, and his making depended on his mood so I think I got a low to mid 80 and that would be what I was stuck with because I could never manage a 9/10 and got one 7/10 :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adv4ntag3 adv4ntag3
low english marks...but dont stress over that right now...english marks tend to fluctuate with ur teachers...and as everyone else said, its still grade 9, dont worry so much now...leave the stress for gr12, theres going to be a lot of it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted