yconic - How are you paying for your university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How are you paying for your university?

A photo of Absolut Absolut
Hey guys, im in a bad situation and will have to pay the majority of my university. My question is how are you going to pay for it? What if osap doesn't give full amount of money for tuition and residence? what other ways are there? Working during the summer wont cover the whole thing. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Apply to any and all scholarships that you can.
Make sure you maintain a high grade 12 average too so that you can get a good amount of entrance scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I'm paying all of mine. Scholarships + loan + work + personal savings from working through high school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
I'm paying for my entire education as well. I'm funding just about all of my education through scholarships. I chose the U of C because they offered me more money than everyone else, and I haven't regretted it. I've learned more here because I don't have to worry about getting a job during the year to cover expenses. And besides, if you get enough scholarship money to cover most of first year, then whatever you make during the summer this year and next year goes towards second year tutition, etc. Anyhow, good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Working + OSAP + savings. Just like it should be...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of briannabeaver briannabeaver
Apply for scholarships you don't qualify for. You feel 100% silly doing it, but I heard a story once of a male student that won a female engineering scholarship. He wasn't in engineering either. I usually don't apply for the 'write an essay' ones if they don't apply to me, but some you can just fill out an application.

OSAP didn't cover my first year either. I lived on res. I'd highly recommend the experience, but living off campus is cheaper, if that needs to happen. To cover the difference though, my parent's let me use their line of credit. Our bank tried to get us to open a student line of credit for me, but the interest rate was silly high, plus it accumulates throughout the year. So they let me use theirs.

I promise though, it can feel really really hopeless. Just keep going though, the money will come somehow.

Oh another tip! In first year, I forgot about bursaries and so I only got to apply for the winter bursaries. This year, I got my stuff together and got my application in in the fall [I also wrote on my application that I had 3 grand of debt left over from last year], and I got double the bursary money in total, which was given to me half in each semester.

There should be on campus jobs too, which should help supplement and pay for the difference. Work as much as you can in the summer; visiting friends is fun, but I've gotten to the point where I'll live anywhere as long as I have a job there [and if the finances balance out]. Money, sadly, comes first for me, but education is important. You can do it though!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
Yeah how else is everyone paying for UNI, other then OSAP and their own money obviously like specifics of what you are going through?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@mikey12y wrote
Yeah how else is everyone paying for UNI, other then OSAP and their own money obviously like specifics of what you are going through?

Scholarships (entrance + others) plus personal savings + job/co-op. I don't know if I want to go on OSAP. If I go to Waterloo, my parents might have to help me out, but I (should) be able to pay them back from my co-op earnings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I'm really stressed about this too. I hope things would work out for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CYYZ24ILS CYYZ24ILS

@Absolut wrote
Hey guys, im in a bad situation and will have to pay the majority of my university. My question is how are you going to pay for it? What if osap doesn't give full amount of money for tuition and residence? what other ways are there? Working during the summer wont cover the whole thing. Thanks!

OSAPs there for the ones in the bad situation. if your parents don't make big incomes, you will likely be spotted the full amount.... otherwise work it out over the summer, its not tough to make enough to pay for at the very least half a years worth of tuition
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple

@ARMY101 wrote
Working + OSAP + savings. Just like it should be...

I agree. No free rides for me :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11
Co-op
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rica Rica
My education will rely on scholarships, part-time work throughout the year, summer jobs, and probably a student loan if nothing else works.

My mom brought up an interesting point the other day for those who are interested. She has been in the Real Estate business for years now, and she strongly recommends taking one summer to get a Real Estate licence. Throughout the year, it's the perfect job to give you lots of time to focus on your studies; you may invest 3 hours every one or two weeks to show houses to clients. Even if you sell only 2-3 properties a year, that's a good $10,000-$20,000 of ANNUAL commission, if not more... that pretty much compares to a major scholarship (without the GPA part ;)). Of course, the amount of commission you get strongly depends on property prices in your area, but since most universities are in urban areas, prices tend to be relatively high.

I know, it's most definitely not for everyone, but I am strongly considering that option. I mean, where else would a student be able to make that much money a year without having to sacrifice high amounts of study time?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Making Android apps and selling them :D
I also have my own game-server
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yhempler yhempler
I am in 4th year, so I'm almost done...

This year, I took out my very first student loan, $4000.

Before that, I was working throughout high school and putting everything I had into my savings account, and by the time I graduated high school, I had almost $25000 in the bank.

I kept a very high academic average throughout my high school years, and took part in as many sports organizations/teams and school clubs as I could. When I applied to my university, I got quite a few entrance scholarships. My scholarships totalled $22000 to date, and I am still applying for more.

Also, when you get a loan, as long as it is the maximum amount for the study term, you qualify for bursaries, because you have a financial need. Bursaries do not require you to have a super high average, but you do have to prove your financial need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Unspool Unspool
AFE (Quebec's OSAP), savings, work and a student line of credit. I'm already $11,000 in debt after first year. Sucks doing it on your own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
money from work during high school + money from working p/t work while in university + money earned from co-op program + student loans = how I'm paying for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0