yconic - how can i afford university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

how can i afford university?

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout
i don't have much saved up - maybe $1000.
i should have worked in the summertime but i haven't, which i regret.
i'm in grade 12 now and i think the scholarship i will get would only be around 1K, since my average might be just 85%.

i come from a low income family, in a low income neighborhood.
i live in toronto and im planning on going to waterloo for res, but OSAP didnt pay for my brother's res/commute when he applied for college.

will they pay for my res? will i have to take out a loan from the bank (can't do that, family has bad credit).

i just dont think ill have enough to pay for university.

i just read that the maximum osap gives you is 13K...thats nowhere near enough. im sure i can get the max, because my mom makes less than 25K yearly..

how do i get the rest of the money? do i get a bank loan or something?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Your options are bank loans, scholarships, or work. Another option would be to go to U of T, Ryerson, or York and save a significant amount of money by living at home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
what ktel said. or take a year off and work a lot.

how much osap did your brother get? and did he put down that he was living at home or in res? because I think the amounts can be different based on that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of yifanzhang yifanzhang
i don't think your personal credit is connected to your family's credit (i may be wrong, but it seems unethical for banks to be prejudiced like that, so you can probably apply for a bank. coming from a low income household makes you a great candidate for busaries, so keep an eye out for those!
also, to save money, be as frugal as you can throughout university.only buy necessities, and thrift.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@yifanzhang wrote
i don't think your personal credit is connected to your family's credit (i may be wrong, but it seems unethical for banks to be prejudiced like that, so you can probably apply for a bank. coming from a low income household makes you a great candidate for busaries, so keep an eye out for those!
also, to save money, be as frugal as you can throughout university.only buy necessities, and thrift.

Your personal credit isn't tied to your family's credit, but I would assume this person is very young and has no credit, and thus would need their parents to cosign. Then it would have a big impact
Was this helpful? Yes 0