yconic - How can I deal with stress?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How can I deal with stress?

A photo of iva5m iva5m
Im in first year and I'm still getting used to the whole settling, i was just wondering how other people deal with the stress and getting used to the whole university experience?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Love Love
To be honest, the best way to deal with stress is to sleep. By sleeping, you allow your body and brain to recover from being overwhlemed. If you have a deadline to meet and can't find too much time to sleep, simply take a short nap. Any amount of rest is good. Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stratosfear Stratosfear
The best way to deal with stress is to sit back and realize that the most important thing in life is not marks. In the end it really doesn't matter what number you got on a piece of paper.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cashpiles cashpiles

@Love wrote
To be honest, the best way to deal with stress is to sleep. By sleeping, you allow your body and brain to recover from being overwhlemed. If you have a deadline to meet and can't find too much time to sleep, simply take a short nap. Any amount of rest is good. Hope this helps!

Sleep is definitely important. I was working a split-shift job, where the first shift was in the monring and the second shift was at night. I found that by sleeping for about 2 hours during the day, my mental state was much improved and I was able to deal with stressful situations more positively.

Also, this may seem obvious, but before going to class or starting a shift, make sure to fill your stomach. Eating enough food can calm your nerves and help you think straight.

@Stratosfear wrote
The best way to deal with stress is to sit back and realize that the most important thing in life is not marks. In the end it really doesn't matter what number you got on a piece of paper.

I disagree with this. The numbers you get on that piece of paper can determine whether or not you get in to undergrad or grad school and may even affect your future job prospects.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tanyam tanyam
There are a couple of ways I deal with stress. The two ways that I find help the most would be physical exertion ( I go for a run, or go rock climbing). The second is taking a bath with Epsom salts. The salts help to relax tense muscles. Another way would be going and hanging out with a friend that makes you laugh, or doing something that you love ( ex. I love making wire jewellery, and I find that once I start making a piece I forget about other problems)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@Love wrote

Sleeps the beest! I usually take a nap after school and you feel so good and ready to study after :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sjlewis1708 sjlewis1708

@iva5m wrote
Im in first year and I'm still getting used to the whole settling, i was just wondering how other people deal with the stress and getting used to the whole university experience?

University life can be really hard at the first eh? When I started school I found it really lonely and just obviously very new and a bit intimidating. To be honest it felt like it wasn't even happening. Between school work, missing home and friends, and just trying to find the time to shower and eat between exams it can become extremely stressful. Just make sure you give yourself time to breathe and make sure if your missing your old life you keep in contact with different aspects of it whether it be friends or the way you decorate your room. Also make sure your taking good care of yourself. Eat healthy, go to the gym and make sure your getting at least 8 hours of sleep. Lastly, in terms of school and work load, I am the queen of to-do lists! make sure you stay organized and keep on top of things plain and simple! If your having trouble with some of the material make and appointment with you profs, they are always a big help when you ask for it, and if it's career decisions your stressing about go see your university career counselor. In all I know its hard and a big change but I hope some of these things will help you adjust faster and know that it gets better in second year once you get the feel for how everything works and what not
cheers!
s lewis
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MRichards12 MRichards12
I deal with my stress two ways: relaxing, and hitting things really hard
I try to hang out with friends and get a pizza at least once a week so my entire life isn't just school. I also found a punching bag on kijiji for about $40, and it is AMAZING for stress relief. I highly recommend it!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Sleep, working out, taking time to do fun things (going out with friends, watching tv, etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
it's important to take time out of your day for COMPLETE silence (maybe 10 mins) then i like to follow the silence by music - JUST music in a comfortable room.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Samun Samun
Consistent 8 hours of sleep and exercise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of B1GM1KE B1GM1KE
I narrowed it down to 2 simple answers:
sleep; and good time management!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of B1GM1KE B1GM1KE
I narrowed it down to 2 simple answers:
sleep; and good time management!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Buttoncakes Buttoncakes

@sjlewis1708 wrote

@iva5m wrote

University life can be really hard at the first eh? When I started school I found it really lonely and just obviously very new and a bit intimidating. To be honest it felt like it wasn't even happening. Between school work, missing home and friends, and just trying to find the time to shower and eat between exams it can become extremely stressful. Just make sure you give yourself time to breathe and make sure if your missing your old life you keep in contact with different aspects of it whether it be friends or the way you decorate your room. Also make sure your taking good care of yourself. Eat healthy, go to the gym and make sure your getting at least 8 hours of sleep. Lastly, in terms of school and work load, I am the queen of to-do lists! make sure you stay organized and keep on top of things plain and simple! If your having trouble with some of the material make and appointment with you profs, they are always a big help when you ask for it, and if it's career decisions your stressing about go see your university career counselor. In all I know its hard and a big change but I hope some of these things will help you adjust faster and know that it gets better in second year once you get the feel for how everything works and what not
cheers!
s lewis

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JasmineJutai JasmineJutai
Don't procrastinate, get lots of sleep, and work out, yoga can be very calming.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdelarosa kdelarosa
Diet is very important! Remember to get a tonne of fresh veggies and fruits in your diet!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johntayl586 johntayl586
I have problems with stress in almost everything and because of the mass amounts of stressing when i was younger, when i stress, i make myself sick and get horrible stomache pains. To cope with stress, you really need to make time for yourself! Time to chill and read a good book or watch your favorite movie. The only problem is, is that you need to put your mind at ease to fully relax. Pick a time period to work on a subject and just work at it! When your time is over relax
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DreamingGoddess DreamingGoddess
Stress is difficult. It's almost inevitable in University life because things tend to pile up at the same time (midterms, assignments, finals...).

Sleep is important. So is just turning your brain off.

What I've learned in my years at University is to plan.
*Make sure you know where your money is going so you can avoid the stress of debt once you've graduated
*Use an agenda daily. Plan out the things you NEED to get done for the day (but keep the list to 5-7 items max). Review what you have for the coming week/next day so you don't overbook yourself or miss valuable time to study/work on assignments
*Make a list of things that you really want to do in life and try to make sure that everything you are doing now is going to help you reach those goals. It helps to see that you are taking little steps now to make a better future for youself. It also helps to not stress out over something that will be insignificant in the future.

Good grades are important in university, but more important is learning and being involved in your studies. Seek help early if you're struggling. Make sure you are passionate about what you're studying. Use this time to try new things that you otherwise may not have been exposed to and have fun. :cheers:

Best of luck in your coming years!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adriennedunbar adriennedunbar
Make time for yourself.. no matter how much work I have to do I always take a break. It lets me relax a little so by the time I get back to work I have more focus and energy to get the work done!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sandynguyen sandynguyen
I'm graduating from Grade 12 this year, and am far beyond excited to enter into university! Though I hate the idea of stress.. I love the satisfaction that receive when exams are done. I do have some questions regarding university though..
Classes aren't on a stationary schedule are they? They're always different days and times? And do any of you university students have time to do leisurely activities or is it always used to study? Even though university sounds stressful and scary I'm so ready to take on the challenge!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm graduating from grade 12 this year as well and have experienced more than enough stres, not only studying for exams, but also ensuring that i do well on them considering that this is the year that counts the most. I found that most of my stress was due to my procrastination and lack of sleep. So to get rid of stress sleep is essential and studying at least a month ahead is beneficial. Also someone told me that reveiwing your notes from day one helps alot! I've also tried relieving my stress by exercising and i have to say that it actually helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of YYLau YYLau
i would blast my music and dance like no one is watching :)

or... take a bubble bath,
breathe in...
make a schedule and actually plan out everything that you need to do,
make sure yu give yourself some extra time in between if yu know youre going to slack . :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danielafaykoo danielafaykoo
sleep, breathe deeply, do an activity that requires a lot of energy like a sport or something like keeps your mind busy like a board game.
Don't overthink things, perhaps try yoga or calming activities such as a walk in the park
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simixoxo simixoxo

@StudentAtStPats wrote

@Love wrote

Sleeps the beest! I usually take a nap after school and you feel so good and ready to study after :cheers:

I agree. Sleep is the best for sure. In general, I think its good if you have to try and create a balance between relaxation and work. Its difficult, especially if you are determined to get those 90's, but sometimes you need to take time to breathe otherwise you will be worrying and unable to focus properly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0