yconic - How Can I Find A Job?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How Can I Find A Job?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
(Request this thread be stickied to the top of the forum)

If you're looking for a summer job, consider this your database of links and areas to go to look for employment:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=canada+student+jobs
www.monster.ca
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/
http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx

That's just a few to get you started. Feel free to add your own sites that you've found and feel helped you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
50 replies

A photo of Ooosh Ooosh
Ask your professors! Create a relationship with them throughout the course, obviously get good grades and show them you are motivated. First year this will be difficult, but as you get into second and third year it gets a lot easier.

Most universities have internal job postings, some will be the part-time, during term, work study jobs but there are full time summer jobs as well (through FSWEP, etc.) that professors are hiring for or companies that have a connection to the university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jgilchrist jgilchrist
Thanks alot for the links
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DJPINKY101 DJPINKY101
You can always check around the university to get a job there. If not check all the mall websites (if you are interested in retail) to send a resume. You will most likely be called for an interview. All the best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of min8 min8
It's hard to get a job but it helps if you know someone that works there to put a good name in for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of siobhan137 siobhan137
Many university campuses have jobs that you can apply for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlanaGriffith AlanaGriffith
hand in resumes, look in the paper.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If anyone is looking for a geology or engineering job check this site out

http://www.infomine.com/careers/jobs/search.aspx?code=r5c20a6n15e0d0o0
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of code91 code91
thanks for the links
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ammoreault ammoreault
A lot of stores now have online applications! SAVE PAPER!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mnagao mnagao
Apply to a lot of different places. That way, your chances of landing a job will be good. Always stay motivated, and good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Samantha6518 Samantha6518
If anyones looking for a job in retail there are certain times better than other to start applying. A lot of stores while hire for 2 main occasions: back to school, and christmas. Typically they start looking for people for these positions in november for christmas, and early summer (june or july) for back to school. Hit up the malls and put in your resume everywhere. Even though the jobs are only seasonal, you can make pretty good money during the time. Also the next time your shopping, take a look at store displays, if places are hiring, they usually put signs up on their windows throughout the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Try doing some volunteer work. That will give you experience and contacts. It will also look great on your resume or when applying for scholarships and grants
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katey Katey
I'm hoping to get into a school in a city with 2 other schools! I've been job hunting but no luck, how does one stand out from every other student fighting for jobs in one city?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Katey wrote
I'm hoping to get into a school in a city with 2 other schools! I've been job hunting but no luck, how does one stand out from every other student fighting for jobs in one city?

1. Being better.

2. Being more qualified.

3. Having a better resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKYeglinton SKYeglinton
cold calling, the classifieds section of the newspaper, networking
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AnnW93 AnnW93
Hand in resumes in person.
Make connections.
Recommendation from people?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of tedirun tedirun
:bom: It is hard to find even a part=time job. I moved recently to Canada and for new immigrants it is hard. Usually employers ask for "local" experience. I also realized that active networking is very, very important.
Good luck to all job searchers!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tedirun wrote
:bom: It is hard to find even a part=time job. I moved recently to Canada and for new immigrants it is hard. Usually employers ask for "local" experience. I also realized that active networking is very, very important.
Good luck to all job searchers!

That's not true. If you have the experience but in another country they'll understand.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tedirun tedirun

@jgilchrist wrote
Thanks alot for the links

In my experience, the best you should do is:
- Expand your network
- Submit a customized resume to every job ad
- Be confident:bounce
Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mwest21 mwest21
How can I find networking opportunities to help me get a job in my field?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mwest21 wrote
How can I find networking opportunities to help me get a job in my field?

You get a job in that field, or you go to school and the professors will have connections in the field they're teaching.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tobybennett tobybennett
Does anyone know about legit work at home jobs? I wouldn't mind doing something on the computer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poohbear poohbear
have a really good resume and then send it to lots of places and then hope for a reply
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blm2 blm2
Don't stop trying! All the jobs I got were from the places I least expected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0