yconic - How can I get a 90% average by the end of the school year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How can I get a 90% average by the end of the school year?

A photo of milliex51 milliex51
Hi! I am in grade 11 and attend a self-directed, non-semestered secondary school. For the past two years of my high school career I've been constantly getting 82-83% total average for taking 8 courses. I feel like getting an 83% at the end of the school year is my limit. However, I want to improve and get at least a 90% average by the end of the school year with seven courses, but I believe it's impossible:

I currently take:

Instrumental Band - AMI3M (91%, this course is basically my stress-reliever and aside from the tests I have to do, the rehearsals is what reminds me why I love this course too.)

English - ENG4U (85% but I am pretty sure it's going to drop drastically when it comes to my final exam (4 essays in 2 hours) and I suck at writing essays. Though one factor could be that I lacked the proper preparations for grade 12 since I attended summer school English, grade 11!)

Physics - SPH3U (91% though I failed my first unit test about Motions, Forces, Energy, Heat, Work and Power with a 60% on the dot.)

Chemistry - SCH3U (89% I love Chemistry and although it's getting heavy on theory, math and physics, which I'm not doing so well at-- when combined together, I'm able to enjoy and understand the concepts)

Biology - SBI3U (87% the concepts are a bit easy to understand except the test questions are fairly tricky)

World Religions - HRT3M (91%, it's a mandatory course and it's okay... /:)

Functions - MCR3U (81%, I'm not the greatest at math but I have been practising my arse off ever since I started doing the Quadratic Equations unit. For the first units I didn't realize that practicing numerous questions, asking for help (I took the initiative to find myself a Senior tutor who tutors me at school lunch now) would help me greatly-- I assumed that the saying, "Practice makes perfect (or close to perfect) that my dad always says was just bogus and impossible)

For grade 12 I am going to take:

Instrumental Band, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Religious Education (mandatory).

I want to apply and attend UofT's Chemical Engineering program soo badly or Ryerson's Nursing program (a bit easier). However, it would be a dream come true if I could become a Chem. Engineer because I get to use Chemistry, Physics and math in practical ways to create products from raw materials such as cleansers, soaps, etc., that you see at Shoppers Drug Mart or work at a Water Plant to maintain safety drinking water! Therefore, I have a purpose to do the mathematical calculations that many students wonder if they're ever going to use these formulas in the future.

My parents want me to stay within the area of Toronto due to financial reasons and other factors. However, in order to be considered by competitive schools such as UofT I have to get at least a 90% average for my top 6, and I feel like it is impossible D: I'm not the brightest crayon in the crayola box but I'm desperately willing to achieve the grades.

Additionally, I'm planning to get a tutor for calculus and adv. functions next year (40/hour!? :bounce: ) by finding a job to save up, but can someone please give me some advice on how to excel in each? Thank you so much!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Topiary Topiary
The courses you plan on taking in grade 12 will lessen the chances of you getting a 90% average. That being said, if you want something bad enough you can certainly get it.

I'd recommend taking one of your harder courses in the summer, preferably English. I'd also looking into what courses need to be in your top 6 average. A lot of the time you'll find that you just need to achieve a certain grade in a specific class for a program that you're applying for. If that's the case I'd try meeting the cutoff for those courses and taking a few bird courses. Maybe E-Learning?

This is the second time I've taken an E-Learning course. First semester I took Resource Management and achieved a grade of 99%. I'm currently doing Business Leadership, getting a 99% in it as well. Just a thought.

----

Just read that last bit on getting better at Math. It's all practice, my friend. I took Advanced Functions twice, the first time I got 85%, the second time I got 96%. I regret not working harder the first time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of crazyfrog007 crazyfrog007
Yeah, I would also recommend taking English in summer school or what ever course that you think will take up most of your time. This is because your schedule will be much easier and less intense if you do a course in summer school.
I took English in summer because it always takes up so much of my time. I wanted to get it out of the way so I can have time for my other courses that I need most.

Good luck with your 90% average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Are you at Mary Ward? :O
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Topiary: Really? D: Oh.. I'm currently taking grade 12 English right now and I have an 85. It's not the best mark because I already know it's going to decrease due to my poor writing skills. As I have mentioned before, I'm terrible at writing essays! And the grade 12 English course consists of mostly essays after essays after essays. I've done E-Learning before but that was 2 years ago for history, and I don't really know what course to do E-Learning.. o.O My plan is to summer school Physics in a day-school but I'm behind with my work and probably will take summer school to finish my current courses. Anyway, I wanted to also take ICS3U to learn more about programming and stuff and take it in grade 12. Thank you! :)

@crazyfrog: Right now I'm taking grade 12 English and it is taking time up so much of my time D: I planned on taking physics in summer school (day-school) because when I took grade 11 English in the summer, I learned so much... o.o Then again there are other factors preventing me from taking a new credit this summer, and it's all due to my procrastination. But, thank you! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of re8addmt re8addmt
Hey milliex51,

The trick to getting that 90%+ is all in time-management. Orgainize ur time wisely, make sure u understand everything and study hard!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's the problem. I have poor time-management skills. I usually would pull at least 2 all-nighters each year, and stay up really late near April-June to finish my courses on time. It's terrible I know and it's all due to my procrastination, and over-thinking. Do you have any tips that help you organize your time wisely so that you get to understand your courses' concepts and have time to study hard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gnac gnac
Study in small increments and repetition works for me.
To get a 90% I worked my ASS off. I studies, I pay attention to my homework and didn't do them just because, for easy marks and to get it over with it.
Small study groups with the brightest kids in class helped, A LOT.
Circle the questions you have trouble with, and do them over and over and over again.
Ask for previous test. Usually the format is similar, ie: there's always a question on subject A, B, and C but they're just worded differently.
Be motivated. If you think you can't do it, or too lazy, don't expect to reach your goal.
Also, MANAGE YOUR TIME.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@milliex51 wrote
Hi! I am in grade 11 and attend a self-directed, non-semestered secondary school. For the past two years of my high school career I've been constantly getting 82-83% total average for taking 8 courses. I feel like getting an 83% at the end of the school year is my limit. However, I want to improve and get at least a 90% average by the end of the school year with seven courses, but I believe it's impossible:

I currently take:

Instrumental Band - AMI3M (91%, this course is basically my stress-reliever and aside from the tests I have to do, the rehearsals is what reminds me why I love this course too.)

English - ENG4U (85% but I am pretty sure it's going to drop drastically when it comes to my final exam (4 essays in 2 hours) and I suck at writing essays. Though one factor could be that I lacked the proper preparations for grade 12 since I attended summer school English, grade 11!)

Physics - SPH3U (91% though I failed my first unit test about Motions, Forces, Energy, Heat, Work and Power with a 60% on the dot.)

Chemistry - SCH3U (89% I love Chemistry and although it's getting heavy on theory, math and physics, which I'm not doing so well at-- when combined together, I'm able to enjoy and understand the concepts)

Biology - SBI3U (87% the concepts are a bit easy to understand except the test questions are fairly tricky)

World Religions - HRT3M (91%, it's a mandatory course and it's okay... /:)

Functions - MCR3U (81%, I'm not the greatest at math but I have been practising my arse off ever since I started doing the Quadratic Equations unit. For the first units I didn't realize that practicing numerous questions, asking for help (I took the initiative to find myself a Senior tutor who tutors me at school lunch now) would help me greatly-- I assumed that the saying, "Practice makes perfect (or close to perfect) that my dad always says was just bogus and impossible)

For grade 12 I am going to take:

Instrumental Band, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Religious Education (mandatory).

I want to apply and attend UofT's Chemical Engineering program soo badly or Ryerson's Nursing program (a bit easier). However, it would be a dream come true if I could become a Chem. Engineer because I get to use Chemistry, Physics and math in practical ways to create products from raw materials such as cleansers, soaps, etc., that you see at Shoppers Drug Mart or work at a Water Plant to maintain safety drinking water! Therefore, I have a purpose to do the mathematical calculations that many students wonder if they're ever going to use these formulas in the future.

My parents want me to stay within the area of Toronto due to financial reasons and other factors. However, in order to be considered by competitive schools such as UofT I have to get at least a 90% average for my top 6, and I feel like it is impossible D: I'm not the brightest crayon in the crayola box but I'm desperately willing to achieve the grades.

Additionally, I'm planning to get a tutor for calculus and adv. functions next year (40/hour!? :bounce: ) by finding a job to save up, but can someone please give me some advice on how to excel in each? Thank you so much!!

I think you marks fine for now...or goal should be to find effective ways to study and practice studying early/not procrastinating...im telling you I know people who had high 80s and even 90s in gr 9 and 10 who are barely pulling off low 80s. I think if you get your work habits down...u'll be fine. Also try creating a club from now...so next year it will be legit.(get money from your student council and get a teacher).

Tips:

English: Start assignments early...please read ur books...reading books are great
Math: Do ur math hmwk when it is assigned...holding it off for one day could screw up that whole unit.
Science: Haven't taken a science since gr 10...I would say a mix of the above two...start assignments right away and do hmwk when assigned.
Religon: Prolly seems like the easiest course in ur schedule...only tip is to treat it as ur other courses...u'll prolly feel bad if u got a worse mark in religon rather than english.

Good luck and have fun

P.S. don't get tutors...ask ur teachers for help...it shows u care
Was this helpful? Yes 0