yconic - How can I transfer from bio to kin after my 1st year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How can I transfer from bio to kin after my 1st year?

A photo of jack3d jack3d
am taking ba bio first year and i want to transfer into ba or bsc in kin for my 2nd year so i was wondering what do i need in terms of course selection?

am going to laurier

i asked the course counselor this and she replied:

The chances of changing to KIN next year are extremely remote. This year, and last, there was no room for students to transfer into the program, either from Laurier, or from other universities. Also, the vast majority of Kinesiology courses are restricted to students in the KIN program. The only exceptions are the activity courses, which can only be signed-up for during the first week of classes in September.

now what do i do? i def want to switch into kin. i want to transfer to western for kin after my 1st year
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Was this the Laurier counselor that said this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d
in her signature it said admissions officer, faculty of science, faculty of music
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Right, but if you want to transfer to Western, why are you asking the Laurier counselor? You should be talking to someone at Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d
She makes it seem like it is impossible to switch into kin

i asked her what are the best steps if i want to change into kin and she tells me to do another year of HS to upgrade my marks.

my first option is to switch into kin at western, but i wouldnt mind kin at laurier either so im trying to figure everything out. i hear people switching major all the time like its nothing i dont know why shes making it seem like it's so hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
It's usually very simple to change programs: you just register in the courses that are required for the program you intend to switch into. What makes switching into kin so tricky is that kin courses are usually restricted to kin students. The same usually applies if you intend on switching into business and engineering as well; the process is not simple like it usually is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d
so how can i go about switching? im 100% sure i want to switch i cant do another HS year im finishing up my 5th

there must be some way right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You can contact other universities to see if they have any spots still available in their kin programs. This is unlikely to work, but it is worth trying, given your rather desperate situation.

You can contact other universities to see how competitive it is to switch into kin after first year and transfer in from another university after first year. If they all say that it is very competitive, and kin is something that strongly interests you, then maybe you should consider taking a year off to work and then apply to kin programs next year.

Another possibility, though it is one I'm not sure about, is to complete a year of university, taking all courses that are required to be taken in first-year kinesiology other than the kin department courses that you are excluded from. You could then apply again as a high school student. If accepted, you'd enter first-year kin the next year, but you'd already have completed most of the required courses for that year. You'd have to take first-year kin, but you could start taking some courses that you'd be required to take in your second, third, and fourth years of kinesiology. It gets complicated, but you could probably fast-track in a way that you could get your kin degree after four years of university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
You can contact other universities to see if they have any spots still available in their kin programs. This is unlikely to work, but it is worth trying, given your rather desperate situation.

You can contact other universities to see how competitive it is to switch into kin after first year and transfer in from another university after first year. If they all say that it is very competitive, and kin is something that strongly interests you, then maybe you should consider taking a year off to work and then apply to kin programs next year.

Another possibility, though it is one I'm not sure about, is to complete a year of university, taking all courses that are required to be taken in first-year kinesiology other than the kin department courses that you are excluded from. You could then apply again as a high school student. If accepted, you'd enter first-year kin the next year, but you'd already have completed most of the required courses for that year. You'd have to take first-year kin, but you could start taking some courses that you'd be required to take in your second, third, and fourth years of kinesiology. It gets complicated, but you could probably fast-track in a way that you could get your kin degree after four years of university.

thats so complicated wtf...

theres no chance of me taking a year off to work

im 100% going to laurier for bio

and im 100% positive i plan to switch into kin either at western queens mac or laurier

applying again as a HS student would be horrible since i have been slacking since my acceptance so my marks arent up to what i am capable of

i wanted to take some kin courses as well as my prereqs for bio my 1st year i dont want to completely start over 1st year kin im gonna be so behind

and it s not that desperate i just want to get into kin my 2nd year or even 3rd or 4th idc as long as i graduate in 4-6 years time with a kin degree or something

kin/nutrition
kin/bio
kin/physiology

idc doesnt matter im def set for kin though

i dont care how competitive it is, as long as i have a chance im going for it, all i wanna know is what to do.

my first choice is western for kin
i just want to know what courses, and what marks to get and im gonna shoot for it. i dont know why this counselor is making things so fcking difficult telling me i cant take any kin courses. im even fine to switch into kin first year at western i just need to know the marks and courses i have to take

i been delaying my course selection for a long time cause im trying to figure out 100% what i need to take to switch into kin
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, like the counselor said, switching into kin may not be realistic. Transferring into kin at another school may be even more unrealistic (depending on the school).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d
Why would it not be realistic?

all other majors can be changed but for kin i cant?

im positive i want to do kin bio was an alternate offer i did research and everything i read it was just take the prereqs as electives and you can go to kin or whatever major you want to switch in to

i just want to know what i need to do to do it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For whatever reason, kin programs only allow so many students per year to be registered in the program. This doesn't apply to many other programs, hence why you could switch rather seamlessly into most other programs but not kin. The counselor was probably not lying when she told you that no one in the last two years was able to transfer into Laurier kin. Expecting that you will break that trend is unrealistic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
We can't answer these questions for you. If you want to know what courses you need and what grades you need, you need to contact the kin departments at the schools you are interested in...

What you're asking is to change your program NOT your major, which is significantly more difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d

@ktel wrote
We can't answer these questions for you. If you want to know what courses you need and what grades you need, you need to contact the kin departments at the schools you are interested in...

What you're asking is to change your program NOT your major, which is significantly more difficult.

is it still possible though?

whats the difference between major and program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's possible. It's just unrealistic. For you to be able to switch into kin or transfer in from another university there needs to be an opening in the program. Someone needs to drop out or switch to a different program. This probably occurs less often than you think, at least according to the academic counselor. Even if it does occur, then you're competing with all the other people in the same boat as you wanting to take that opening. If you're a Laurier student competing for a Laurier kin position, then you have an edge on a Western student competing for that position, but a Western student has an edge on you when competing for a Western kin position. Like the counselor said, the likelihood is extremely remote that you will be able to transfer in. Though I'm sure "extremely remote" is a bit of an exaggeration; you at least cannot expect to be able to transfer in.

What I'd do if I were you: start university this Fall at Laurier, then apply to Laurier kin as a high school student (if possible) and as a transfer as well as basically all the other universities you can think of that offer kin programs. And keep your fingers crossed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Engineering is an example of a program. Same with sciences, arts, etc. You major in things like biology, English, mechanical engineering, etc. within the program. So switching majors is easy as you are still within your program, whereas switching programs requires you reapply to another department.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d
biology and kin are very similar though

arent they both under faculty of science?

what do you guys mean apply as a HS student? with my HS marks? id rather apply as a transfer cause i know those marks will be much higher since i have been slacking on my HS marks since my acceptance.

and all i need to do is apply for kin program to other universities? what about course selection/marks?

i talked to my guidance counselor in HS he said every program or major has a drop out rate so there is bound to be some people who drop or switch out of kin after their 1st year or something right?

thanks for the help guys
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Even if you apply as a transfer they will probably look at your high school marks, since you will only have one years worth of university courses.

They may be similar, but kin is obviously competitive entry, so that makes it more difficult to switch.

Talk to the universities that you would apply to and see if they have any advice as per course selection. You want your marks to be as high as possible to make you more competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't know how many times we have to tell you this, but kin is different. 99 times out of 100 switching your major is not a big deal; switching into kin is one of those 1 out of 100 times that switching your major IS a big deal. Kin, like ktel said, is competitive entry. Someone in kin could easily switch into bio (because bio is usually not competitive entry), but switching into kin is different. And the natural drop-out rate is probably factored in. One reason kin might be so restrictive is because of certain courses that can accommodate only so many students, so the kin department can't really say, "well, we'll just fit a few more students in here and there." Second/third/fourth year courses may be able to only accommodate 100 students, but the kin department probably accepts like 120 students out of high school, knowing that ~15 students will drop out before second year. If more students drop out than expected, then they will accept transfer students. Whether or not you will get in depends on how strong of a candidate you are and exactly how many students they are going to allow to transfer in.

Now, the counselor at Laurier told you that no one has been able to transfer in in the past two years. That means very few people drop out/switch majors and/or the Laurier kin department sets a conservative drop-out rate estimate and probably actually has too many students enrolled. What is the case at other universities? That's something you have to figure out. Other than that, we can't really help you. I think ktel and I have already provided you with enough of a reality check.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jack3d jack3d
hmm perhaps i can switch into something else bio related

i want to get into physical thereapy, like sports doctor strength&conditioning trainer for a pro sports team, something a long those lines, can i do this without a kin degree?

again thanks for the help i dont mean to repeat the questions or to frustrate anyone of you i just want to get everything straight

im still gonna contact other unis in terms of course selection for kin but im trying to figure out other ways to achieve the end goal.

would i offend the laurier counselor if i asked her about transferring to another uni for kin? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I think there are some physio programs that you transfer into in third or fourth year, or do a masters. Not sure though. Research it. For example, here is a program at U of A: http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/pt/MScPTCoursebased.cfm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Bingo!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
All physical therapy programs in Canada are Masters programs. To enter into these programs, you need an undergraduate degree (a four year degree) that includes certain pre-requisite courses (for most universities - some programs don't have any pre-reqs). For most of the Ontario schools, you also need a certain number of volunteer hours dealing with people with physical or mental disabilities.

ORPAS has the details on the various physical therapy programs in Ontario: http://www.ouac.on.ca/orpas/
The chart detailing the requirements for each PT school in Ontario is here: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/rc_orpas_e.pdf

A google search should bring up the requirements for the other provinces.
Was this helpful? Yes 0