yconic - How did you decide which school to go to? I'm having troubles.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How did you decide which school to go to? I'm having troubles.

A photo of dontknow dontknow
So right now, it's between Laurier and uOttawa. I have an extensive pro/con list (in my head) of why I should go to either of them, but I really can't decide.
What were some factors you considered when picking schools?
What was the main reason you chose the school you did?

And if you have any input about either of the two schools, I would love any advice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz
Tell us the program first....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@EastSideBoyz wrote

Yes. Knowing the program changes the whole story.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Money, campus, social life, class size, program and the city the school was located in were all major factors for my decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
My priorities:
1. program
2. campus/city
3. cost of attending
4. distance from home

Ultimately I chose my school because the program is well known/acclaimed, I liked the medium size of the campus and the fact that it's a closed campus that doesn't span major intersections, wasn't in the middle of nowhere with no nightlife, cheaper than attending other schools and only 1-1.5 h from home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
There are a lot of factors that shall be considered in making a decision as previous posts stated. Different people have different priorities though. For a particular student, reputation could be the most important decision-making factor, whereas for another student, it could be tuition, etc.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to visit University before making a decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
I made my decision based on:

Co-op (get a job right out of uni)
Independence away from parents
A decent program
I liked the campus + rez

Even though the cost is 3x what it costs to stay at home, I'd be able to minimize debt through coop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dontknow dontknow

@heesoup wrote

@EastSideBoyz wrote

Yes. Knowing the program changes the whole story.

OMG haha I'm so dumb my bad, I'm taking health sci!
I know it's new at Laurier, it started in 2009 I believe so this would be its third year. Would that be a disadvantage?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of itruffles itruffles

@smarty1 wrote
The most important thing, in my opinion, is to visit University before making a decision.

I was completely set on York because it's close to home and most importantly, HIGH GPA. But when I visited it, my mind changed instantly. You should definitely visit schools and choose whichever "feels right". After all, you're gonna be spending the next 4 years of your life there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@itruffles wrote

@smarty1 wrote

I was completely set on York because it's close to home and most importantly, HIGH GPA. But when I visited it, my mind changed instantly. You should definitely visit schools and choose whichever "feels right". After all, you're gonna be spending the next 4 years of your life there.

hey, once i;m banned from student awards, how can i come back? Can I just make another account, or do they blocl my Ip address?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CoutureCouture CoutureCouture
My parents chose for me, and bribed me with nice things.
It worked... Hello Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0