yconic - How difficult is laurier bba?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How difficult is laurier bba?

A photo of michellec16 michellec16
If anyone is in the BBA program, I would like to know how you or others in the program are doing, and how is group work there (I heard BBA students get group projects a lot), thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
Oh, and to add to that question -do any bba students apply to ivey in 2nd year?
(or transfer to schulich/queens)

(and do they get in)

shanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@michellec16 wrote
If anyone is in the BBA program, I would like to know how you or others in the program are doing, and how is group work there (I heard BBA students get group projects a lot), thanks.

I'm not in it, but I have a number of friends who go there. If you're talking just first year, it's pretty easy. There's 5 required courses: two business courses, two econ, and one math/calc. The basic math/calc is insanely easy, the econ courses require almost no work and are quite easy, and although the business courses are a bit time consuming they aren't that difficult. Your 5 electives can be easy if you pick them to be. There are a few that are challenging/time consuming, but you can avoid them if you want. There's also two harder math/calc courses you can take in place of the easy one- would add to the difficulty. Second year is marginally harder from what I hear, and then third year is a killer.

In first year, there's the New Venture project in the two business courses where you work in a team and you create a start-up company and do all the stuff for it and do some presentations. So you're doing group work all year. Your electives may or may not have groupwork components. I'm less sure about the following years for groupwork.

To Windsongs4: there's definitely BBA students who apply elsewhere. I've heard of a few getting into Ivey, and a few get into random other schools. You'd probably see a higher percentage get into Ivey than at other schools since they have more openings. It's usually quite competitive to transfer into the top programs, although it is possible. Usually by then you also don't want to have to switch schools and leave behind friends and make a whole new start.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@caveman wrote

To Windsongs4: there's definitely BBA students who apply elsewhere. I've heard of a few getting into Ivey, and a few get into random other schools. You'd probably see a higher percentage get into Ivey than at other schools since they have more openings. It's usually quite competitive to transfer into the top programs, although it is possible. Usually by then you also don't want to have to switch schools and leave behind friends and make a whole new start.

I'm just asking, because truthfully, I sort of think the first two years before ivey are a complete waste -I'd rather get relevant business/technical knowledge from queens/schulich/laurier/waterloo and then go into ivey. (i've heard these students also tend to do better in ivey)

although from what you say -laurier seems pretty chill :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How are the other years harder(which courses)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@michellec16 wrote
How are the other years harder(which courses)?

Since no one else is answering: there's a stats class, a business decision models class, and you get some other more intense courses. First year is pretty relaxed (5 electives), second year is a little bit more difficult (1-2 electives but not too much harder) and then 3rd year they really step everything up, so it's quite a change (note: all from what I hear).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How is the accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0