yconic - How difficult to maintain 80% in UW BBA/BMath DD?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How difficult to maintain 80% in UW BBA/BMath DD?

A photo of broilking broilking
Hi I'm currently a Grade 12 student looking to apply to UW for the DD program. One of my main concerns is that I'll be going into first year with atleast one or two renewable scholarships, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to maintain these throughout the four years that the scholarships last. I expect the average of my top 6 courses to be approximately 96% (give or take about 0.5%). I've been very strong in my math courses throughout high school, getting atleast a 99% in each so far. I know high school math marks don't mean much in DD, but I've also participated in about 7 Waterloo Math contests as well as 2 SunLife Financial contests and have placed well (score of 137/150 in Fermat last year). So I'm wondering how possible it is to keep an 80% throughout university, and I'm also curious as to whether UW/WLU bell curve marks or just do it normally. Thanks, sorry for long message but I'm putting a lot of thought into university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
I have a B+ average thus far. The algebra exam killed me. I think you'll be fine personally, with those marks (and some EC's) you should also be able to get some non school scholarships.

Both universities say they don't bell curve - but upper years have told me that they will if marks are too low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks for the reply noxx
but just wondering are you in BBA/BMath or BBA/BCS cuz im wondering about the first one but ur sig says the latter
anyways do u find yourself having enough time to have fun and not be stressed all the time?
and what were your marks/ECs like when you applied?
thanks
btw are you in first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
BBA/BMath and BBA/BCS students take the same courses first year and have very similar courses second year. I am in first year.

Yep I do get to enjoy myself. During the week I'm busy, but on the weekends I can usually relax with just doing a bit on my upcoming assignment or maybe a little bit of reading. However. if there's concepts that you don't understand that well you will have to visit the tutorial centre for extra help - or do poorly.

I applied with an 87.8 average. WLU took people with lower marks in the BBA/BCS because they were getting less applicants, however my EC's were very strong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh i see thanks
im pretty sure ill be at waterloo next year, just not sure whether to take the program called "mathematics" and major in act sci second year or do the same but with a DD
if anyone else has advice as well thatd be great
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@broilking wrote
oh i see thanks
im pretty sure ill be at waterloo next year, just not sure whether to take the program called "mathematics" and major in act sci second year or do the same but with a DD
if anyone else has advice as well thatd be great

I would go for DD. It opens up more paths for you if you find that act sci isn't for you once you get started. However you will need to take a 6th course in 2nd semester if you want to write the first act sci exam after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0