yconic - How do universities view marks outside the "top 6"?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How do universities view marks outside the "top 6"?

A photo of Linzz Linzz
So my dilemma is that I have a really good top 6 average (>95%) but I had taken 7 courses this year and the 7th in french is really not that great (sudden drop to low 80s). It really surprised me when midterms came out recently because I have been known to get high marks in french as well, having a final of 95 in grade 11. My french mark feels like a huge blow to my entire transcript.

The thing is if it were to be included, it would definitely bring down my average significantly and I do know that all schools say they only calculate your average using the top 6 but the fact of the matter is that that mark is still there and might very well affect admission decisions. The universities that I am most concerned with are McMaster and Waterloo. Does anyone know if they put any weight at all on marks outside the top 6? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of ronmovilla ronmovilla
I'm pretty sure your safe; although it will be on your transcript, Canadian universities only consider your top 6 marks, which obviously include your prerequisites, for admission. Unless French is one of the prerequisites to your desired programs,then your absolutely fine. Even so, with your said marks i'm sure you'll be fine :P I've heard that for some admission scholarships, they do take in consideration marks outside your top 6. Nevertheless, I've only heard that McGill does that. So don't stress too much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Linzz Linzz
No, french is definetly not one of my prerequisites and I've heard that about McGill as well. I'm not so concerned with scholarships because I know that's pretty much a fixed amount for averages as I am for admissions. Yeah, you're right; I had thought my marks would be adequate but it's just that the programs I had applied to are more competitive than the average and I angst. Haha, thanks, I'll try not to stress too much but still just a little bit. The mark worries my little head.

I would actually drop the course if I didn't need it to complete my french immersion diploma. GAH. So you're sure that those Canadian universities say that they only consider top 6 marks (let's just exclude the possibilty of subconscious swaying decisions :) )?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ronmovilla ronmovilla
Yeup, there's a reason why they call say your "top 6" :P; I'm not telling you to slack off in your French course, but don't let your mark get to you :P; I'm positive that neither Waterloo, nor McMaster look at your marks outside of your top 6. If there's one thing I noticed about this stressful time with all my friends is that they start assuming the most pessimistic thing! Be positive! You've work hard, so just let the fruits of your labor grow :P

On a side note; what programs have you applied to that's getting you so uneasy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sean1218 Sean1218
McGill does indeed look at all your 3U and 4U grades for major scholarships.

To answer your question, they say top 6 because they mean top 6. They won't hold your french mark against you. Even including your french mark, you'd still have ~93% which is more than enough for Waterloo and McMaster. Even for McMaster health sci, as long as you're in that range, increasing a few percent doesn't have much of an effect. At this point, as you may know, your ECs are what really matters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Linzz Linzz

@ronmovilla wrote
Yeup, there's a reason why they call say your "top 6" :P; I'm not telling you to slack off in your French course, but don't let your mark get to you :P; I'm positive that neither Waterloo, nor McMaster look at your marks outside of your top 6. If there's one thing I noticed about this stressful time with all my friends is that they start assuming the most pessimistic thing! Be positive! You've work hard, so just let the fruits of your labor grow :P

On a side note; what programs have you applied to that's getting you so uneasy?

I know you're not telling me to slack off but it's kind of hard not to now that you've told me that there's no chance of it ruining me.

& Accounting at Waterloo is the thing I'm looking into right now.

@Sean1218 wrote
McGill does indeed look at all your 3U and 4U grades for major scholarships.

To answer your question, they say top 6 because they mean top 6. They won't hold your french mark against you. Even including your french mark, you'd still have ~93% which is more than enough for Waterloo and McMaster. Even for McMaster health sci, as long as you're in that range, increasing a few percent doesn't have much of an effect. At this point, as you may know, your ECs are what really matters.

Just needed to know they won't care about french. That accounting program at Waterloo that I'm looking at has pretty high admission averages... but yeah, my EC's are pretty great. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
In short, they don't.
As long as you have some good ECs, a decent supp (if your program/school required one), and a decent top 6 average (yours is beyond amazing.. >95?!?!).. you've got nothing to worry about at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So for me, average over 90%, crappy gym mark....they could care less about how fit I am basically? haha

I swear if I get declined due to gym, i'm going to be angry :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
They don't. They already have a ton to look at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I got Bs and Cs in the subjects that weren't prerequisites to uni, but my avg for the prerequisites was a 95, and I got in with a nice scholarship.

If you count the irrelevant subjects my avg would have been closer to 80.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Linzz Linzz
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
I got accepted to both those programs that I wanted earlier this month so its been pretty chills lately.

^And thanks; it's reassuring to know that other people don't have perfect transcripts outside their top 6 as well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
Haha, perfect transcripts...never going to happen. I got into AFM, and I had a mid 70 in Chem. ): Of course, it wasn't in my top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0