yconic - How do you compare with your peers (in terms of intelligence and marks)?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How do you compare with your peers (in terms of intelligence and marks)?

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I think around 15 people in my grade are getting an average of 90+. I've been in the top two for the past 2 years, but I'm not sure now. I might be 3rd or 4th this year. (Which sucks since only the top two get these special awards).

Even though I have a pretty high average, I don't think I'm that book smart. I stress like crazy to earn those marks. I sacrificed health for school. However, I know people who miss school for a week every year to go on vacation, don't spend every morning and lunch in the library, and actually have a social life... And still get pretty much the same average as me.

So I don't think I'm book smart, but I think I am intelligent in other ways. I'd say that I'm much more compassionate, understanding, perceptive, and logical than the average person. Perhaps the most compassionate, understanding, etc. in my school (not to sound egotistical).

How do you think you compare with your peers?
Was this helpful? Yes 1
54 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I think I do work harder than some people in my school and I am smart but I'm not a genius by any means, I just work hard. I am very organized and motivated and driven (that's what my friends tell me). I have a social life but not as much of one compared to others. With work and school it is pretty hard, I really only see my friends at school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I get average marks but put in less than average effort. It's typical to think, "oh, that must be because you're smarter than the average person," which is probably true, but I think it's just because I know what is important to do to get good marks. Going to class when the notes provided are comprehensive - not so important. Studying every little detail in the notes - not so important. Attending review sessions - not so important. Reviewing the notes over and over (and over and over) again before an exam - also not so important. It probably helps too that I don't care that much about marks anymore, so I can afford to stop doing things to see if they actually affect my marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
If you're speaking of high school, grades don't mean anything.

The reason I think I'm more intelligent than some of my peers is because I read non-fiction books. I also don't view school as a medium to a desired goal, like people studying to get a good job, but as a formative stage in my life.

But I must admit, most people you ask will think they're smarter than the average person and a bit of testing will belie their assumptions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote
If you're speaking of high school, grades don't mean anything.

The reason I think I'm more intelligent than some of my peers is because I read non-fiction books. I also don't view school as a medium to a desired goal, like people studying to get a good job, but as a formative stage in my life.

But I must admit, most people you ask will think they're smarter than the average person and a bit of testing will belie their assumptions.

Yes, I wouldn't surprised if that were true. Most people also seem to think they are more nice, mature, or somehow better than the average person. At least of the people I've met...
And then there are people with really inflated egos. Something I noticed about those people is that they tend to be closed minded as they think they're always right/ know everything already.

I'm certainly not a genius, but I think I still have the potential to do great things if I try hard enough.

As for me, I think life experience (such as going through hardships) have helped develop my ability to easily look at things from different angles. I'm also a very curious person who enjoys thinking and learning.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Stranger wrote
I think around 15 people in my grade are getting an average of 90+. I've been in the top two for the past 2 years, but I'm not sure now. I might be 3rd or 4th this year. (Which sucks since only the top two get these special awards).

Even though I have a pretty high average, I don't think I'm that book smart. I stress like crazy to earn those marks. I sacrificed health for school. However, I know people who miss school for a week every year to go on vacation, don't spend every morning and lunch in the library, and actually have a social life... And still get pretty much the same average as me.

So I don't think I'm book smart, but I think I am intelligent in other ways. I'd say that I'm much more compassionate, understanding, perceptive, and logical than the average person. Perhaps the most compassionate, understanding, etc. in my school (not to sound egotistical).

15 people over 90? How many people are in your school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
15 people over 90? How many people are in your school?

Actually, it's probably closer to 10. About 1000 people go to my school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
2 people have a 90+ average at my school, including myself, at least for university level courses. I'm unsure if my grade is simply dumb, or if my school is 'hard'.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
2 people have a 90+ average at my school, including myself, at least for university level courses. I'm unsure if my grade is simply dumb, or if my school is 'hard'.

I'm taking university level courses. I'm not sure how my school compares to other schools. Sometimes I worry that our school is just easier than most. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
You'll find out in September.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@saber33 wrote

This is similar to my school. We might have 3, maybe 4, but there is 1100 students in total and a crap load of Grade 12s this year for some reason.

I know that my school is hard, and am told that it prepares everyone really well for university. Plus I have found out it has a great rep, so that is a bonus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@saber33 wrote

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@saber33 wrote

+1

Perhaps.
The college I'm planning to attend consists of mainly people who have had post-secondary education. So I might not be able to compare myself with other students straight from high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lostanna lostanna
I am one of those students who get low 90's, high 80's without putting in a whole lot of work. Though I am taking "the difficult classes" I rarely have homework. I am extremely athletic and am a provincial athlete in multiple sports, school and otherwise. I also spend a couple hours a week volunteering at my church. On the arts side of things, I am a soprano in my school choir. I think I'm pretty well set in terms of school and scholarships, especially because, as a first generation immigrant and a female, I provide that element of diversity acceptance boards seem to crave.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
15 people.. Is this school run by monkeys?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Just so you know- at this age, comparing yourself to your peers does not get you very far. Just try your hardest. The time you save worrying about someone who beat you on a test, or being excited about someone YOU beat on a test can be used to try out a new initiative, project, or job. Seriously. I wish someone had told me this when I was young.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
That is a hard comparison to make. Different people take different courses. I think we would all agree that the amount of effort needed to get a 90% in a business course (high-school) like economics is far less that getting a 90% in say physics or calculus. Then again, it can be vice versa. So there is not really a way of comparing.

At my school there was max 2 people with 90% plus from last year's grads. Not sure about this year since we don't have all the marks yet. (semestered).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Qq wrote
15 people.. Is this school run by monkeys?

Smells like inflation...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

-shrugs-
My friends and I also think our school isn't up to par with other schools. That's partly why I asked this question.

What units are you guys covering in biology and chemistry? Sometimes our teachers skip/ don't finish a unit because we don't have enough time, apparently. It makes me wonder if our school is a bit behind.

Also, I think my average would still be 90+ if I went to a harder school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Wait, was Qq implying that Stranger's school has inflated marks or is "dumb"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of al1993 al1993

@Stranger wrote

15 people is very little compared to 1000 students in your school.
In my grade 12 class, there's probably less than 200 students and I swear it seems like everyone takes the easy courses with the easy teachers(Challenge & Change, Law, Media, etc) to get a high GPA. Everyone in the Challenge & Change class has over a 95. I know people who had 60 averages who are now getting high 80 averages with no effort at all. It infuriates me. I know that some people plan on going in that career direction, but many people I know are taking those courses and they plan on going in the science field.

Anyways, back to the question.
My high school is apparently rated the top in the Southern Ontario area(no clue why). I have one friend who has to do well on every single little thing that is graded. She cries when she gets less than 90% on tests and she spends 4+ hours a day doing homework. She doesn't have a part time job and doesn't volunteer much. Does she get good grades? Yes, absolutely. But I don't think it's necessary to sacrifice your social life for grades. She is one of those people who studies 24/7 and her grades show it.

I'm taking Advanced Functions, Calculus, English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics this year and I realize that I have to work harder. I procrastinate on everything and don't normally study for tests. My marks are fine, in the low 90s/high 80s for sciences & maths and about 77 for English. But they could be better, just like many people.

I work about 15-20 hrs a week and volunteer 3 hours a week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Don't think that going to a "hard" school will mean you'll be better prepared for university. Two courses that stand out in my memory as preparing me particularly well for university were BIO4U and ENG4U. A few people in those classes got marks of 90% or greater, and I even got 94% in ENG4U (which is supposedly unheard of). In a number of the university biology courses I took, I found I was significantly better prepared than my peers; in a writing course I took, no one was even close to being as well-prepared as I was. And my high school was not highly ranked by the Fraser Institute (although that doesn't mean much).

Just because your teachers mark easily (my English teacher explicitly told us he did so to help us get scholarships and get into good programs), doesn't mean they won't prepare you well. Conversely, just because your English teacher marks harshly (and, thus, expects a lot out of you), doesn't mean he or she is preparing you well for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
is 15 students with 90+ in one grade alot?? In my school its usually around 30 people per grade that has a 90 which is a bit over ten percent of the people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Don't think that going to a "hard" school will mean you'll be better prepared for university. Two courses that stand out in my memory as preparing me particularly well for university were BIO4U and ENG4U. A few people in those classes got marks of 90% or greater, and I even got 94% in ENG4U (which is supposedly unheard of). In a number of the university biology courses I took, I found I was significantly better prepared than my peers; in a writing course I took, no one was even close to being as well-prepared as I was. And my high school was not highly ranked by the Fraser Institute (although that doesn't mean much).

Just because your teachers mark easily (my English teacher explicitly told us he did so to help us get scholarships and get into good programs), doesn't mean they won't prepare you well. Conversely, just because your English teacher marks harshly (and, thus, expects a lot out of you), doesn't mean he or she is preparing you well for university.

I do not find this true. A hard Englishh teacher makes you work WAY harder to pull off a reasonable mark, and exceptionally hard to pull off a 90. It makes you pay better attention to how they want you to write, and give more of an effort. By the end of the year, everyone is writing d@mn good essays, and typically these bring your marks up (first few people don't do as well on).

All of the students from my school have said that hard English classes have prepared them well for university (and hard other courses). Our school has a great rep and many of our students have gone on to do great things. Now, this may not be true for all students, but I think the majority of students push to get to a mark they were execting, and will gain more skills as a result of this. Grade 11 and 12 is a pretty big step-up from Grade 9 and 10 in English too (and other courses), and those Grades aren't marked easy either.

I'm sure this is not the case for all schools, but I would think this is the case for many of the schools that have these "hard markers".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@blackjack wrote
is 15 students with 90+ in one grade alot?? In my school its usually around 30 people per grade that has a 90 which is a bit over ten percent of the people.

Compared to my school that is A LOT. Even 15 is a lot (compared to my school- and we definitely are not dumb). My school is probably maybe 3 or 4, maybe 5 (although some probably only have 2 and some years). My entire school didn't even have 30 last year (and probably not even 15).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I still worked hard to get a 94% in ENG4U. If I had a teacher who made it impossible to get >90% in that class, then what could I have done? Worked harder? Maybe, but not likely. And even if I did, working harder would really just mean more time spent toiling over what exactly the teacher wants, not learning more. It's all about what and how the teacher teaches you (assuming he or she isn't just giving out marks, which I'm sure is only very, very rarely ever the case), not so much about how harshly he or she evaluates you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0