yconic - How do you feel about others copying/using you?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How do you feel about others copying/using you?

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I personally hate it, but then I feel selfish and bad like I'm being unhelpful. :/

E.g. "Can I see your assignment?"
"Can I copy your _______?"
"What did you do for ______?"
"Can you do ______ for me?"

It's not like I want to be unhelpful, but I hate feeling like I'm just being used. Ugh, I especially hate it when people I despise or slackers try to use me.

What I don't mind is when others ask for help in understanding a concept or something like that. Then I'd be helping them, but they'd be doing their own work. I also don't mind helping others who are serious about their academics cause they probably at least tried first or helped me understand something in the past.

Do I sound selfish? :/

It gets to the point where I start really despising certain people cause the only time they approach me is to get something off of me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
You don't sound selfish at all. If they need help on an assignment, then they should ask you for help rather than ask to copy your assignment.

It takes some practice, but you have to learn to say no. Just say something like, "no, but I'd be glad to help you." No one can get pissed off at that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'd say the same thing. There's no problem with giving a person lecture notes if they missed a class, but I certainly wouldn't support them in an absence more than once.

I once had a guy in one of my classes who was constantly skipping because of "car troubles" or "slept in" or "had hockey practice." At the end of the semester he *magically* said he was doing the same essay topic as me (about 15 pages) and he wanted to see my essay "just to make sure he had the same information." So I said okay. I gave him a one page excerpt of my essay so he could see an example of my writing style and information. I also "locked" this document in Word so he couldn't just copy and paste my words into his own essay - he would at least have to type them out again, word for word. Then I alerted the professor that this student had asked me for my entire essay so he could make sure it contained the same information as mine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Two surprisingly helpful posts, I agree with what they said.

I totally know what you are saying. For example, in calculus I have two friends who always ask to see work. One just likes to look at my homework, just to see how to do it properly. He learns well on his own, without someone explaining it and as long as he sees it he gets it. I have no problem with that. But another friend just wants to copy it down so it looks like he did it and then he feels like he actually did his work and studied. I frequently say no to him, but tell him I can explain it to him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@ARMY101 wrote
I'd say the same thing. There's no problem with giving a person lecture notes if they missed a class, but I certainly wouldn't support them in an absence more than once.

I once had a guy in one of my classes who was constantly skipping because of "car troubles" or "slept in" or "had hockey practice." At the end of the semester he *magically* said he was doing the same essay topic as me (about 15 pages) and he wanted to see my essay "just to make sure he had the same information." So I said okay. I gave him a one page excerpt of my essay so he could see an example of my writing style and information. I also "locked" this document in Word so he couldn't just copy and paste my words into his own essay - he would at least have to type them out again, word for word. Then I alerted the professor that this student had asked me for my entire essay so he could make sure it contained the same information as mine.

ARMY101: You need to be more careful in the future than to give out even an excerpt of your essay. You don't necessarily know if your professor is going to believe you. That was a pretty risky move on your part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@Quiz wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

ARMY101: You need to be more careful in the future than to give out even an excerpt of your essay. You don't necessarily know if your professor is going to believe you. That was a pretty risky move on your part.

It's ARMY101. His integrity is absolutely unquestionable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@LRooke wrote

@Quiz wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Ya, whatever. I can already prove that he has committed a crime because trolling is illegal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
other: yeo give me ur homework
Me: nah Just tell me what u need help with
Other: fck that jus give me ur homework
Me: Fck off just ask someone else
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@mercenary wrote
other: yeo give me ur homework
Me: nah Just tell me what u need help with
Other: fck that jus give me ur homework
Me: Fck off just ask someone else

this..only help people who actually wants to learn.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Quiz wrote

@LRooke wrote

@Quiz wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Ya, whatever. I can already prove that he has committed a crime because trolling is illegal.

1. I'm not trolling.

2. Where is trolling against the Criminal Code?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
The girl who sits beside me in English once texted me "what's a paradox"
I replied "what's a dictionary?"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
tell them to fcuk off lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mwfm2011 mwfm2011
I hate leechers unless there my good friends..
But i hate ppl that Only Talk to you for cheating/getting answers off of
and then never talking to you again .. lolzzzz
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mwfm2011 wrote

Clearly someone needs to leech off someone else in English class...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@ARMY101 wrote

@mwfm2011 wrote

QFT, that was infuriating to read.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz

@ARMY101 wrote

@mwfm2011 wrote

I Lol'd
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bluesharpies Bluesharpies
Heh, personally, I suppose I'm okay with it for the most part. I ask people for help in classes I dislike, people ask me for help in classes I'm doing well in. The world keeps turning. I'm not down for outright copying, but explaining/discussing material while checking out the answers together? It's a learning experience for all involved. No real losers here.

I do get bothered when people start getting notorious for leeching, and we have the chronic "zomfg idk what the answers are halp halp" that I begin getting frustrated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Maci Maci

@Stranger wrote
I personally hate it, but then I feel selfish and bad like I'm being unhelpful. :/

E.g. "Can I see your assignment?"
"Can I copy your _______?"
"What did you do for ______?"
"Can you do ______ for me?"

It's not like I want to be unhelpful, but I hate feeling like I'm just being used. Ugh, I especially hate it when people I despise or slackers try to use me.

What I don't mind is when others ask for help in understanding a concept or something like that. Then I'd be helping them, but they'd be doing their own work. I also don't mind helping others who are serious about their academics cause they probably at least tried first or helped me understand something in the past.

Do I sound selfish? :/

It gets to the point where I start really despising certain people cause the only time they approach me is to get something off of me.

Nah you're totally right! Those people need to understand that you should understand the material not memorize it. School is about learning not memorizing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
It happened to me a lot in high school. Yes, SO annoying but I'm just too nice to say no. Still happens to me in uni but it really pisses me off when someone purposely doesn't come to class and asks me for my notes because they dont like our prof's writing or something stupid like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
The problem is, the very same high school students that rush to ask you for help don't want to learn; they want to do well. It's sad. I have never let someone copy my work, though. You owe them nothing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
Question for the guys:
How do u feel about girls leeching off of u?.... I find it pretty difficult to say no to them (my screw off method doesn't work in such situations)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@mercenary wrote
Question for the guys:
How do u feel about girls leeching off of u?.... I find it pretty difficult to say no to them (my screw off method doesn't work in such situations)

If they're hot...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of KarZ KarZ

@LRooke wrote

@mercenary wrote
Question for the guys:

If they're hot...

MY ONE WEAKNESSSSsssss
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@LRooke wrote

@mercenary wrote
Question for the guys:

If they're hot...

Learn to ignore them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@mercenary wrote
Question for the guys:

As pretty as a girl may be, once I realize she's stupid, she immediately becomes unattractive in my books.
Was this helpful? Yes 0