yconic - How Do YOU Fight Procrastination?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How Do YOU Fight Procrastination?

A photo of Ohseedee Ohseedee
Hello everyone, just curious as to how you guys fight procrastination regarding homework, studying, etc.

Since I'm the type that gets easily overwhelmed, I make sure to set VERY small goals. For example, every day I have my goal of doing just 10 minutes of homework. Because it's ridiculously small, I can accomplish the goal without feeling pressured and almost always end up doing much more than 10 minutes.

What strategies help you fight the urge to procrastinate?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of random random
Like you, I keep everyday small goals. Finish Part A of assignment, write intro to essay, do questions 1-10, etc.

I also try to finish as much work as possible in school during my lunch or spare because I know I'll become lazy once I get home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EgyCanadian EgyCanadian
Procrastination is my biggest problem right now. I am so so so easily distracted and find it EXTREMELY difficult to focus on tasks. And it's affecting everything in my life...I end up cramming assignments in the last minute, I hardly get any sleep and I never find time to work out as much as I did before and therefore start to get out of shape.

I need help :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I work best under pressure/the stress of a looming deadline, so I usually let myself procrastinate for at least the first little while. Otherwise, I don't have the motivation to study/do work without the "omg I'm going to fail if I don't start" feeling kicking me into gear.

If that doesn't work, I give myself ultimatums. For example, I won't let myself eat/shower/go to the bathroom/leave my room etc before I finish studying 3 lectures.

If that still doesn't work, I turn off my wireless (since I pretty much only procrastinate on the internet). Usually when it gets to that point, it's already 1am and I have 7 hours before a midterm, so the fear of failing/doing poorly is pretty strong and after turning off my wireless I'm pretty committed to studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoorKnob22 DoorKnob22
You need to build the habits of working everyday on projects.

Also to study all content of a subject on a regular basis rather than the classic day before.

You also need willpower/self-control, to build the habits.

I agree with turning off the internet, it's a good idea, (assuming you don't need it to work like on a research project or something)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplaetzer jplaetzer
I like the wireless idea also.
My best method is to write down a list of objectives at the end of my school day along with a timeline by which to achieve them. I usually go a little past each set deadline and don't accomplish the last few things on the list, but it does help a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of niklo90 niklo90
lol Good luck fighting it when you're in residence
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tpenney12 tpenney12
One thing that I found really useful, especially for studying, is finding the quiet study space in the library. I used to try and study in my room, but with the distractions I really didn't get anything done. Now, I'd sort of adapted my body into knowing that when I go to the quiet area, or even the library in general, its time to get work done.

Another thing that I've heard is not to study/ do school work in bed. Your body associated your bed with sleep, so you won't be as productive. When I used to study in bed, my body started adapting to that, and I had a hard time falling asleep because I'd be used to studying in bed.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Don't fight it; embrace it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Know how much time it'll take you, and know how much sleep you're willing to sacrifice. I usually end up sleeping at 2-3 so it really isn't half bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
idk..i just dont procrastinate, i always get projects done a week in advance lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katraa Katraa
I try to finish everything at school, so I can go home and procrastinate all I want. If I'm unable to do that, I get up early in the morning to do my homework and regularly take breaks, but not on the computer cause I'll never get off...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrightWhiteLights BrightWhiteLights
I too get distracted really easily. I normally try to remove distractions... which is hard with a hyperactive younger brother :P But I normally try motavating myself by thinking as soon as im done this work I can do whatever I want to do; draw, piano, write,etc. Like especially when I have homework over a break or the weekends I try finishing it on Friday or whenever I get it so I can have free time over the break. While working I also tend to listen to music to block out other things so I can focus on my work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Ugh this is the worst in grad school where the deadlines are months away. I just try to keep myself in a perpetual state of light panic, which motivates me well enough
Was this helpful? Yes 0