yconic - How do you know what courses to take? HELP!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How do you know what courses to take? HELP!!

A photo of Milkberry Milkberry
I'm really really confused as to the course selecting system.
I'm going to be attending UOttawa this fall, and this is crazy confusing.
It has a list of courses I need to take to major in Linguistics (all 3 credits each), under the headline "Nine credits from:".
Does that mean I only choose three out of the 3~5 courses on the list? Do I just choose the ones that starts with 1 (level 100) classes? Do I take the level 200 courses in my second year?
Someone help!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
If that's true then yes it means you only need 9 credits worth of courses (aka 3 courses if all of them are 3 credits each) from that list in order to graduate with a linguistics major. That seems like very little to fulfill a major though imo.

Start by checking out which upper year courses you want to take because most of them will have 1st year prereqs - and then make sure you take those prereqs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes, if you're not in a very structured program it can be very confusing what courses to take. If you are incredibly confused I recommend you make an appointment with the appropriate advisor once you get there. And read the academic calendar like crazy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@Milkberry wrote
I'm really really confused as to the course selecting system.
I'm going to be attending UOttawa this fall, and this is crazy confusing.
It has a list of courses I need to take to major in Linguistics (all 3 credits each), under the headline "Nine credits from:".
Does that mean I only choose three out of the 3~5 courses on the list? Do I just choose the ones that starts with 1 (level 100) classes? Do I take the level 200 courses in my second year?
Someone help!!!

If you look at the suggested course sequence it is pretty clear and well structured. It is on their website. Yes, you only choose 3 out of the 5 courses on the list as each course is 3 credits.

http://www.arts.uottawa.ca/eng/sequences/pdf/linguisticsMajor.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0