yconic - how do you know?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

how do you know?

A photo of Massuma Massuma
so how does one know if they would be successful at a career in the Health & Med Sci field?
should i be good in certain subjects, at certain things, or what?

thanks,
so confused.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Everyone of us is born with a calling. Some of us discover our calling early in life, when we come into contact with the object of our destiny. For historians, they find out when they read their first history book. For veterinarians, they receive a guiding voice inside of them when they reach out to their first animal. For pastafarians, they know the instant they come into contact with a noodly appendage.

How do you find your calling, you ask? You find it by interacting with the world around you. You get engaged in activities, both inside and outside of school. If you think your calling is in the health industry, take the time to volunteer at hospitals, hospices, and palliative care units. Talk to people in the field about their passions. Through your doubts, you will be surely find the True Way. I wish you the best of luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx

@Fodor wrote
Everyone of us is born with a calling. Some of us discover our calling early in life, when we come into contact with the object of our destiny. For historians, they find out when they read their first history book. For veterinarians, they receive a guiding voice inside of them when they reach out to their first animal. For pastafarians, they know the instant they come into contact with a noodly appendage.

How do you find your calling, you ask? You find it by interacting with the world around you. You get engaged in activities, both inside and outside of school. If you think your calling is in the health industry, take the time to volunteer at hospitals, hospices, and palliative care units. Talk to people in the field about their passions. Through your doubts, you will be surely find the True Way. I wish you the best of luck.

lmaoooooo ...the pastafarians part!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Fodor wrote

AHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHA!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@ARMY101 wrote

@Fodor wrote

AHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHA!

lol why did you change your name? The old name had too many enemies xD LAWSTUDENT
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@Fodor wrote

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jennadavid jennadavid
Try a co op program if your school has one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
ask your parents, they'll instantly know what your passion is

And it's not like your undergrad completely defines what the remainder of your career is going to be like. It might narrow your scope, but I'm sure you'll discover your "true calling" or favoured career path sooner or later
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
lol why did you change your name? The old name had too many enemies xD LAWSTUDENT

ARMY101 was actually the username he had for quite some time, until he was banned and then came back to the forum as LawStudent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
As for skills that would make you successful in most medical careers:

1) have a good memory - absolutely important. You have to know A LOT.
2) possess good communication skills - you have to be able to talk with people from a variety of backgrounds
3) be an analytical thinker - you have to be able to look at complex data and draw conclusions from it
4) be sincerely empathetic/caring
Was this helpful? Yes 0

there is a reason why you are questioning the health field. hopefully that is questioning that is mainly starting within yourself and if so, you know that you are being 'called' in that direction. it took me awhile to figure it out. now that i am in the program, even though it is difficult, every class i take inspires me to continue on!!
best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin

@safarhealthsci1 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@Fodor wrote

AHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHA!

he was originally ARMY but got banned. So he started to use lawstudent...

and now that were on this brand spankin' new forum he could return to ARMY.

(totally guessing)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well it should be definetly something more then be interested in the paycheque. I went to a career seminar a while back and listened to some students talking about what careers they were interested in. Two girls were going to be accoutants, when asked why, they said for the money. That thought had never occured to me, I never wanted to do something just because the paycheque was great. I always wanted to do something that I would enjoy and feel good about doing. In this world today, is great to be doing something that will benefit others, not just yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2011Tornado 2011Tornado
Really, even if you're not so good at some subjects, there will always be people to help you! If you're interested in the subject it's most likely you will do well vs. a subject you took just because you were good at it. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of minchau minchau
Hey :) My suggestions for trying to find out if medicine is the right thing for you are
1) Academically, Biology should be an enjoyable and strong subject for you
2) Try volounteering or working at a hospital, to see what it's like and if you can handle it
3) You should LOVE school, haha, you will be spending a lot of time and money there ;)
4) You should be sympathetic, but not to soft - You will have to tell people bad news sometimes...
5) Find somebody who will support you 100% of the way ;)
Hopefully these help, remember that there are A LOT of different fields in medicine, if one doesn't suit you, another one might still :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of metro metro

@onlymatthew wrote
ask your parents, they'll instantly know what your passion is

+1 :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0