yconic - How do you prepare for University?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How do you prepare for University?

A photo of bboxall bboxall
How do you prepare for University?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Quant Quant
By purchasing a copious amount of condoms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
Getting breast implants.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Sleep lots to make up for what I will miss.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Buy a power bar for more outlets, that's first on my list.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
birth control pills
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Siwalge Siwalge
The posts so far have made me chuckle.

I'm going to have to say, by gathering up a multitude of notebooks, and scouting around for the cheapest flight / train / bus going to Antigonish from Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DylanDay DylanDay
Condoms, pain meds ( for your killer hangovers and carpel tunnel from writing so much), notebooks, confidence and a great outlook on your future.

P.S ... Did I mention condoms ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
By buying older text books for classes I know I'm going to take, then "completing" the classes before I get there. That way each class is a review, will be easier, etc

I have a girlfriend, so condoms aren't necessary.
Besides - I've never used condoms with anybody and I probably wouldn't start.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@rightsaidfred wrote
I have a girlfriend, so condoms aren't necessary.
Besides - I've never used condoms with anybody and I probably wouldn't start.

Hahahahaha...I hope you're joking. Your poor girlfriend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slasher61 Slasher61
Well here is just a small sample of those who won't make it through year 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nehalkazim nehalkazim
Lol, this thread is jokes.

Here are some three things I wish people told me (there are a lot more but these are probably critical):
1) Meet people. You hear about people meeting a lot of new people when they go to university/college. Believe it or not, this is not true. I go to Ryerson (a commuter school) and I know many people that go to class, stay with their group of 3 friends, don't speak to anyone else and go stragight home/to work. Obviously, this isn't everyone but there are far too many people that don't take advantage of the environment.

Ryerson Business Frosh is intense. I didn't go my first year and missed out. I became a frosh leader this year and it was epic. Don't miss opportunities to be in environments where you can literally meet 100+ people over a couple of days and make friends. I am also part of many student organizations and active on campus.

2) Understand how you learn and experiment with new learning methods. I travel 1.5hrs+ each day one way. Over time, I learned that I cannot do any reading or writing (via laptop) on the train; makes me nauseous. I leveraged this time by listening to audiobooks on topics that interested me at the time. Or, I just listened to music or slept on the bus, lol. Studying while commuting sounds good theoretically but it sucks!!!!

Know when you study best and try different times. I learned that I was most productive 11am-2pm and 10pm-3am. I made sure that I had a clean working environment each time, had water, snacks, music, phone turned off, to do list, etc. I accomplished tasks that would take me 5hrs in 2hrs.

3) Save money on books and get notes. Especially in your first year, the class sizes are noticeably larger than the 3rd and 4th year courses because first year courses are mandatory. These courses are also not specialized which means almost every person that is in 2nd year has the textbook. New version of the textbooks do come out so if your year is the year the change happens, you just got shafted.

Best ways to find these textbooks are Redflagdeals.com (www.forums.redflagdeals.com/buy-sell-trading-post-f44/), Kijiji, Craiglist, and Facebook groups/fan pages dedicated to selling books. There are also bunch of rental sites/renting services available. Make friends with older students in your programs; best way to find a deal. You'll save $300+ per semester.

There are also many note websites such as www.notesolution.com and www.notewagon.com where people upload notes from class. Saved me many, many times!

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, PM me :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Practice not failing, and what everyone else has said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0