yconic - How do you sleep at night?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How do you sleep at night?

A photo of KDuerk KDuerk
So, we're all stressed, right? During the school year, this stress causes me an immense amount of trouble sleeping. Any tips or tricks that could help me get more sleep more efficiently?? Anyone else have this problem?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
If stress prevents you from falling asleep on time, I recommend you set yourself a bedtime earlier than you normally plan to fall asleep. If you can't normally fall asleep by midnight, try going to bed by 11:00 p.m. That way, you can just concentrate on trying to fall asleep. Think peaceful thoughts and don't think about anything too hard. You can try eating some seeds or walnuts before going to bed as they can make you more relaxed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
If it's just regular school stress, I watch tv right before bed. If it's midterm/exam stress, I get into bed at like 10pm and usually fall asleep around 11:30-12am.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
The best stress relief strategy for me is to go whack the crap outta a ball. I play squash or tennis (depending on the season). The relief of hitting the ball relieves stress, and exerting so much energy makes it easier to fall asleep at night. In addition, it's just a good idea to get a sport into your life for personal health and well-being.

Do this regardless of the time of year. I take the evening before tests and exams to relax (AKA do NOTHING to prepare) because I find it gives my brain adequate time to integrate the information without going on overload.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I like doing any sort of physical activity. It lets me release a lot of stressful energy (I play rugby) and when I get home I'm super tired so I sleep great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
I have two strategies for sleeping:

1) Watch TV/youtube/whatever. Make sure it isn't too action packed or something that will keep you awake, but something that is entertaining to watch that you could nod off to.

2) Turn off everything. Lie down comfortably and try to not move. Try to lie perfectly still and not move a muscle, even if you itch, ignore it. Try to be frozen. This technique usually is my last resort. The challenge of not itching your body, or moving keeps my mind distracted enough not to think of my stress and i'll fall asleep in under an hour.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
read a book...makes ur eyes tired
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nsx nsx
Taking a cold shower usually does the trick for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of sikander sikander
Stress does effects are sleep but its up-to you to find a solution . I go to 15 minute running which really help me destress .I used to stick to a same regime for sleeping and getting up . Try following this .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ikillreid ikillreid

@Ba Ba Blue wrote
The best stress relief strategy for me is to go whack...

^ I was afraid to read the rest of that sentence. Not a terrible suggestion though haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
I've had similar problems in the past, and here's what I've found: make a list of the things you need to do. Know that it is a complete list. Then, when you go to bed you don't feel as if you need to hold everything in your head at once; it's on paper and will be waiting for you in the morning. That way, you can let go. Tell yourself that worrying now (while in bed) isn't accomplishing anything. It can all wait for tomorrow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 33639 33639
Most of the time on school days, I end up waking up early to get to school and then after school I do school work. Sometimes it goes through into the night time. By then I'm worn out and ready to get to sleep.
But since it was summer I usually read a book or went on the computer until I was tired enough to sleep.

My parents used to say that when you take a shower (washing you hair as well) it makes you tired. I don't know if it's true though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I just lie there for a couple hours till I get to sleep. Listen to soothing music sometimes. sucks but oh well.

33639, then you have to dry your hair or it gets all messy. and blowdrying is definitely not a soothing bedtime activity :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anotherxnight anotherxnight
A warm glass of milk. Sometimes I'll read a really heavy book, like an encyclopedia or the Guinness world records book. When my arms get tired, usually my body does too. :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@anotherxnight wrote
A warm glass of milk. Sometimes I'll read a really heavy book, like an encyclopedia or the Guinness world records book. When my arms get tired, usually my body does too. :p

I've heard that a warm glass of milk is not the best in your attempts to sleep. It all depends on the person, but here's what I've read; protein in milk keeps you alert and the fat in milk (if the milk isn't skim) slows digestion and makes sleeping more uncomfortable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cvictor32 cvictor32
Relax a lot before I sleep, quiet environment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0