yconic - How does Rotman work
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How does Rotman work

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Hey,

I've heard a lot of different things about Rotman, ie, you do arts and sciences the first year and then Rotman starts in second year, is this true? Also, does anyone know anything about how good the career centre is? OR UofT/Woodsworth social scene?

Thanks for any and all info. If it helps I want to get a quant finance job eventually, and am deciding between Rotman, QC, MAth/Business Administration at Waterloo, and Western for financial modelling.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Asharq Asharq
Year One:
-Three Rotman Courses
-One or Two Electives

Year Two (If you make the requirements in Year one):
-Specialize in your preferred stream (Accounting, Management or Finance)
-Start working also towards a Minor (Can be in literally anything and UofT has TONS)

Year Three and Four:
-Specialize :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Career Center has got the reputation to not be as helpful and certainly not comparable to Queens/Ivey, but if you are someone persistent in getting an internship and looking for jobs, they will help you :D

As for Social scene, most of the colleges are pretty decent, being at woodswirth, you will be right beside Rotman which is a MAJOR plus as most of your fellow Rotman Commerce students chill at woodsworth or the library on the other side.

Personally, I think anyone of those programs are great if you are looking for a finance job, start to look at other things such as Social Scene, Costs and Residence :D

Hope this helped Matthew ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mauds mauds

@Asharq wrote
Year One:
-Three Rotman Courses
-One or Two Electives

-Start working also towards a Minor (Can be in literally anything and UofT has TONS)

Year Three and Four:

Just to clarify, you specialize during year two? Whereas at other schools, such as Queen's, you specialize during year three?
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mauds wrote

@Asharq wrote
Year One:
-Three Rotman Courses
-One or Two Electives

Year Three and Four:

Just to clarify, you specialize during year two? Whereas at other schools, such as Queen's, you specialize during year three?
Thanks.

Don't know about other schools, but yes, at Rotman you specialize in year 2.

All of Asharq said is true. However, IMO if you're looking for finance you're better off at Ivey. If you didn't get into Ivey, Rotman is a good alternative, but many people here will say QC and they do have reason to say so, but it's ultimately up to you to decide. :)

The social scene is definitely not as crazy as it is at Queen's or Western but that does not mean you will not find people who want to party or you will not find good, chill people. Whoever said drinking and partying is the only way to have fun?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Matthew Matthew
I know those are good for finance, but those are good for the Ibanking, well-paid salesman type of finance. I want a quantitative finance job, the kind of finance with the intense math and etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0