yconic - How far are others in calculus and physics?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How far are others in calculus and physics?

A photo of artyboy artyboy
My calculus and vectors class has just started on log derivatives and my physics class is on electric and magnetic fields. I want to gauge if my school is mote behind than other schools as my physics teacher said she had to eliminate the entire last unit since we won't have enough time for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of pepper pepper
In my calculus and vectors we just finished all of the calculus part and are starting vectors today.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
We started vectors a five days back. At about this time last year were were at General Relativity in Physics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kristofer Kristofer
General relativity?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@Kristofer wrote
General relativity?

I think s/he meant special :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jackcnd jackcnd

@pepper wrote
In my calculus and vectors we just finished all of the calculus part and are starting vectors today.

same
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
We got to some integration 'cause I'm in IB...and in grade 11 still yay
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of link link
My calculus exam is on monday and then we will be starting vectors. Our teacher split up the exams for calculus and vectors because they have very little in common.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
Did physics last sem, and we did the vectors part of the course first, so we just started the calculus portion about last week, I think...

Calculus is easier than vectors, imo (so far).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Penguineer Penguineer
Finished Calculus part two weeks ago, we have a test on the first unit of vectors early next week.
Physics, started electric and magnetic fields earlier this week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Starstruck Starstruck
We did our vectors midterm exam back on the 12th of April and we've been doing calculus since then. Our first test is on Tuesday. I have no idea what a log derivative is yet. :P
Physics? Don't even get me started. My teacher doesn't "do" units. So we have no idea how atrociously far behind we are. I swear, 90% of the course so far has been review from last year because he can't teach. Sigh...I'm going into physics...life = ruined...But I digress.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123
We finished vectors a couple weeks ago, and we just had our first calculus test yesterday.

For those who have taken calculus and vectors, which portion of the class did you like better? Calculus or vectors?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
We've finished calculus, and we started the second unit in vectors today.
I think we're behind in physics though. :/ We're on energy and momentum..
Our teacher said we're not going to have enough time for the last unit (Quantum stuff). D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MatHildebrand MatHildebrand
I have to ask, as i'm not from Ontario, how in-depth is your calculus section of calculus/vectors? As far as i'm aware you guys cover limits of polynomials/trig functions, derivatives of polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trig functions, and simple applications?

Could someone elaborate?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny

@MatHildebrand wrote
I have to ask, as i'm not from Ontario, how in-depth is your calculus section of calculus/vectors? As far as i'm aware you guys cover limits of polynomials/trig functions, derivatives of polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trig functions, and simple applications?

Could someone elaborate?

Thanks.

We finished out last calc test day before yesterday and started vectors today.
If anyone wants to know how in depth I went in my school (BAYVIEW S.S. which is fav by UW), I can upload all my calc tests that I have except the optimization unit. Although our tests were simple, what we were taught in class I felt was really hard. They always gave us extra hard thinking questions that never appeared on the tests. Math dept is try to push us harder and become like math departments of A.Y. Jackson S.S. which is just impossible now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
Vectors: addition, subtraction - using trig laws rather than components (i think components is next - or dot product). Calculus is done

Physics: just finished up electric fields. projectile/dynamics/centripetal/energy are done

Chemistry:finishing electrochemistry. Equilibrium is done, organics up to reactions of hydrocarbons are done (self-study unit)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jackcnd jackcnd

@arviny wrote

@MatHildebrand wrote

Could someone elaborate?

Thanks.

We finished out last calc test day before yesterday and started vectors today.
If anyone wants to know how in depth I went in my school (BAYVIEW S.S. which is fav by UW), I can upload all my calc tests that I have except the optimization unit. Although our tests were simple, what we were taught in class I felt was really hard. They always gave us extra hard thinking questions that never appeared on the tests. Math dept is try to push us harder and become like math departments of A.Y. Jackson S.S. which is just impossible now.

can i see your tests?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kristofer Kristofer

@MatHildebrand wrote

Could someone elaborate?

Thanks.

Ontario curriculum high school calculus is single variable differentiation. No fancy theorems, though, and a hand-waving but I suppose appropriate approach to limits. I wouldn't say the applications had to be simple, just restricted to the theory that is taught.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
Calculus- Finished vectors, just finished product/quotient law to find derivatives, apparently we're starting logs soon then theres not much else.

Physics- Forces done, Centripetal force and circulur accelleration done, Energy transfers and Momentum done, astronomy almost done
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@Kristofer wrote
General relativity?

To be fair, the guy spent 3/4 of class time talking about how much of a dick Einstein was. And how much of a dick Kepler was. And how Feynman is the most awesomest person in existence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MatHildebrand MatHildebrand

@canasian519 wrote
Physics - We have done all of the Dynamics, Momentum and Energy, and next week we will be having a test on the Gravitational, Electrical and Magnetic Fields.

Calculus - We finished the Vectors portion about 3 weeks ago and are currently looking at the Power Law, Product Rule etc of derivatives.

Damn, we lumped all of the energy, work, power, and gravitational field topics into one big energy unit, and we haven't written a test on it yet. Looks like my class is (unsurprisingly) behind.

Any news on those calc tests (stranger)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dommyno dommyno
whoa, I have done the whole physics, and just written the final unit test, Modern Physics, today.
For MCV, I have finished the whole thing about 1-2 months ago because I'm taking AP Calculus.

I didn't expect that my school finished the materials pretty sooner than the others.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted