yconic - How far is too far?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How far is too far?

A photo of tomatosoup tomatosoup
In your opinion, which point is unacceptable to travel to school everyday from home? 1hr away, 2hrs away, 3hrs away on transit? I'm not too excited about the idea of racking up debt by living on res. It's stressful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I think 1 hour is about the max I would want to deal with. I lived off campus (at my parents house) and saved a ton of money. It used to take me about 1-1.5 hours on public transit. I bought a car after first year because it was practical. I had rugby practice from 5-7 pm every day and if my parents couldn't pick me up the bus ride home was just too long. In good traffic it would take me 45 minutes to get to school, which would mean I would drive, park in a neighborhood nearby, then take the bus (so I didn't have to pay for parking). We have a U-Pass so it made sense. I'm working on campus this summer and pay for parking and it's a 20-30 minute drive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
have tried 1.5-2 hours, is teh suck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kraken kraken
or rent a cheaper place nearby and cook for yourself, if you prefer. just make sure you go to stuff on campus if you want a social life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I would never commute to uni, the extra stress/hassle just isn't worth it to me. Even if I went to York (which is a 20 min drive from my house), I would live on campus/move into off-campus housing. Anything more than a 10-15 min walk to campus is "unacceptable" to me. Living on res is expensive but off-campus housing isn't too bad..I pay about $450/mo with everything included and I get to live with my friends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Respects wrote
lol the stress is commuting. Go on residence and enjoy your university experience.

Not everyone would like residence. I personally know I would have totally hated it. Getting drunk 3-4 nights a week is not my thing. I spent some time with die-hard res kids last summer in Germany and didn't really enjoy their irresponsible party-hard attitude. And I do like to drink and party! Just not all the time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase
Personally, I'll be commuting 5/2 hours on average and I am fine with it while others would hate it, so I wouldn't say there is a universal standard. If you can't stand your commute and you can afford res or don't mind the debt, then you're probably better off living on res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@ktel wrote

@Respects wrote
lol the stress is commuting. Go on residence and enjoy your university experience.

Not everyone would like residence. I personally know I would have totally hated it. Getting drunk 3-4 nights a week is not my thing. I spent some time with die-hard res kids last summer in Germany and didn't really enjoy their irresponsible party-hard attitude. And I do like to drink and party! Just not all the time.

Well, I lived in a study intensive area in residence, and we did definitely not party every night and get drunk all the time. Because it was a study intensive area, we had mandated quiet hours, and most of us were scholarship students focused on studying.

We would still go out on Friday or Saturday evenings and have fun (not necessarily get drunk, as that wasn't our thing), but we would go out dancing, or go to a pub and have one or two drinks (not get drunk).

You can't brand all students living in residence as party animals who get drunk all the time. My experience is residence was certainly the exact opposite. As a scholarship student, my priorities were my studies and my extracurricular activities, and I was able to focus on both while still living in residence.

Maybe not all universities provide study intensive areas in residence for their students, but Guelph certainly does, and it is greatly appreciated by a large number of students who want to live on campus but who enjoy quiet time for studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I can brand all students living in Lister at U of A as party animals. It's the only true dorm-style residence on campus, so your only option. The only other residence is HUB, which is filled with international students who don't speak English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@ktel wrote
I can brand all students living in Lister at U of A as party animals. It's the only true dorm-style residence on campus, so your only option. The only other residence is HUB, which is filled with international students who don't speak English.

Wow, a large university like U of A only has one dorm-style residence, yikes!

Here at Guelph we have many different residences in many different flavours. We have study intensive areas, we have "clusters" (so, for example, you can be in a cluster of only first year engineering students, or first year biology students, or whatever).

Too bad U of A doesn't provide those options.

I loved living in residence, but I was in a study intensive area. I would hate being in a place where I wasn't able to study and sleep.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
U of A does have other options, but HUB and Lister are the only options for first years, I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
To contribute to the semi-highjacking of this thread, I lived in trad res in first year and still got the grades(4.0) and ECs I wanted. Sure, there were a few moments of suck (like walking into the bathroom, thankfully with flip-flops on in the morning, right into copious amounts of puke and thinking "Why does this keep happening??", or writing a final on 3 hr sleep cause of your neighbor) but honestly everyone should have a couple of those stories in their university career...plus rez was the place I made most of my friends, and got to interact with people outside of engineering. If I had stayed on my own, or if I had stayed in a high-strung scholarship wing (which I was invited to) I think I would've gone a little nuts. It's great to be able to go to the commonroom where everyone is partying/relaxing/gaming and get away from studies for a bit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz
I am living in Australia while studying in Canada, and I go home (flying, of course) everyday after my classes, do my homework, dinner, sleep, then I get up in the morning and go back to Canada. I also work 3 full time jobs in each country and participate in numerous ECs. I can easily manage all of this while having a social life and leisure time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
^you must have lots of $$$ to make clones that could do all that for you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Quiz wrote
I am living in Australia while studying in Canada, and I go home (flying, of course) everyday after my classes, do my homework, dinner, sleep, then I get up in the morning and go back to Canada. I also work 3 full time jobs in each country and participate in numerous ECs. I can easily manage all of this while having a social life and leisure time.

They should call you "Quiz the magnificent.":compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@Quiz wrote

LOL you are a funny troll :D how many of you are there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chrysocolla chrysocolla
I live in a residential area and it takes about an hour for me to get to campus (when the TTC co-operates :/)and it helps that I usually travel during off-peak hours to avoid getting stuck in traffic. I don't think that it is difficult to be involved in extra-curricular activities as some club leaders understand that everyone's schedule is different. My college's student council meets at 9 P.M. weekly to make sure that as many people attend the meeting as possible. It really depends on the person's prefereces,commitments and current financial situation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Feli0303 Feli0303
I travel 1.5 hours everday by car to get to my school. What I spend in gas is far less them what I would spend to live in Ottawa.

Also, if you live more then 80 km from your school and you travel back and forth everyday you can quailfy for an OSAP grant of $1000. If you qualify for at least $1 worth of OSAP, you are pretty much guarenteed the travel grant. It is $500 per semester for a max of $1000 per school year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I'm considering living at home again because, as I'm part-timing, I can set up my class schedule to be only 1 or 2 days a week, and at least one other person from my house will be going to Toronto then anyway so can drive down with them. I'll save a looot of money doing this, but my social life will suck. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0