yconic - How hard are AP Courses ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How hard are AP Courses ?

A photo of LLORTAMAI LLORTAMAI
How much harder are AP courses than their normal versions. I got a 78 in physics last year and I was thinking of taking AP Physics next semester. I don't expect to get a good mark (probably high 60s to low 70s). The reason I want to take it is because I heard it is really good preparation for university.

:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I don't think it'd be a great idea to take AP physics if you only got a 78...that's just my opinion. It's obviously do-able but I think your time would be better spent studying for your core courses. Self-study for the AP exams if you want, but don't take AP-level courses if you're not excelling (90+) in your normal courses. Again, just my opinion.
Self-studying would be best though, imo. Even if you don't get a 4 or a 5 you've still spent a lot of time studying advanced topics which will help in university AND in your normal class (mark boost yay)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
what are AP courses? Like is that uni-prep courses? Where i go to scool it's applied and academic streams.. never heard of AP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@gleefan wrote
what are AP courses? Like is that uni-prep courses? Where i go to scool it's applied and academic streams.. never heard of AP.

It's short for "Advanced Placement"
In Ontario they are pretty much the old grade 13 curriculum from what my teacher's tell me. It's supposed to be equivalent to the first-year university course for that subject. Lots of universities let you skip that first year course if you score a 4/5 or 5/5 in the AP course. You can choose to write the AP exam (I think it's in March) for whatever subject you want even if your school doesn't have AP, but you have to self-study for it using whatever guide you want to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0