yconic - How hard is Calculus?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How hard is Calculus?

A photo of RyanKO RyanKO
See the thing is, my brother had this Calculus teacher about 7 years ago in the same high school as me. He was pulling off 80%+ in his GPA but he failed Calculus with 47% within first term and then dropped it.

Now it's my turn with the same teacher in the same high school. My brother said he was absolutely terrible and impossible to get along with because he couldn't understand how the students couldn't understand his lesson but he could. They describe him as "too smart to teach." I know 7 years is a lot of time to improve on his teaching skills, however, they still say he's basically... A moron. But he's the only moron in my whole school who teaches Calculus, so all I'm really asking is when you took Calculus in Highschool, did you understand it?

There's just such a dark atmosphere when it's talked about in my school, I really feel like I might bomb it. I'm a 89% GPA student, what are your thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of brandonholmes brandonholmes
With Mathematics, I think it's a lot easier to deal with a bad teacher than a course like English. While he may be the only Calculus teacher in the school, I guarantee other teachers understand the subject matter. If he really does turn out to be difficult to get along with, ask one of your previous mathematics teachers after hours or at lunchtime or spare. I'm sure they would be glad to help you, that is what they are there to do, after all.

With English, a bad teacher will lead to bad class discussion, which will make English mind-numbingly boring. I'm more of a mathematics guy myself, but with a good teacher, English can be fun and informative. With a bad teacher, disaster. Math leaves no room for interpretation, it's right or it's wrong. With patience, any problem is solvable.

Finally, don't doubt yourself. You're almost a 90 student, which means you have shown an ability to adapt to different situations, at least academically. If you're good at math and put the effort in, I'm sure you'll do just fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
It depends a lot on the teacher. Personally, I found it more challenging than Math 12 because of all the terminology and whatnot. But the concepts themselves are usually pretty simple. I ended up with the same mark, so it wasn't too bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Easiest grade 12 math imo. Great thing about math is that you don't really need to be a natural whiz at it to do well, if you practice enough then eventually you'll get the hang of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
You should first meet your teacher personally, at any rate. Calculus is indeed a pretty tough course, but if you practice and get help when you need, I'm sure you'll do fine. If your teacher doesn't teach you much, you should find tutors who know the stuff. And why is that teacher the only one teaching the subject? I guess it's not a popular choice in your school, then. There are lots of online solutions to calculus problems, so you can Google search them, too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
for me, it depends on
a) your teacher: my teacher personally was amazing. she was funny, a great teacher and gave us good lessons. a good teacher WILL help but if you dont its easier to manage then having a bad teacher in say, english.

b) yourself, if you work hard and dont slack, do all your homeowrk, attend classes, listen to your teacher, ask for extra help, youll be fine!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
If you find his lessons too complicated, etc etc, try to look for MIT calculus lecture videos on youtube. The first 15 ish videos would cover the entire calculus course, if you're in Ontario. Don't get freaked out cuaes it's auniversity lecture, that prof....Jerrison i thinkhis name was... makes it quite easy to understand though u might wanna read the txtbook first in addition to vids. Or if those lecture vids r too long for u (50mins each, an entire class)try looking for 5-10 mins vids on youtube bout each topic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@sllencer wrote
If you find his lessons too complicated, etc etc, try to look for MIT calculus lecture videos on youtube. The first 15 ish videos would cover the entire calculus course, if you're in Ontario. Don't get freaked out cuaes it's auniversity lecture, that prof....Jerrison i thinkhis name was... makes it quite easy to understand though u might wanna read the txtbook first in addition to vids. Or if those lecture vids r too long for u (50mins each, an entire class)try looking for 5-10 mins vids on youtube bout each topic.

+1
And if you hate lectures because it's more auditory than visual, just Google search your lesson. Most topics have good answers on the Internet. If they don't, just ask somewhere, these forums are fine too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0