yconic - How hard is it to change program in waterloo engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How hard is it to change program in waterloo engineering?

A photo of Skyper Skyper
I was wondering if the class in the first semester were more or less the same for each program or if you actually lose a semester if you switch lets say from mechanical to engineering program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of aimango aimango
depends on what youre switching to. it is very common for engineers to switch around disciplines. 1st yr comprises of very similar courses for all disciplines, refer to undergraduate calendar for courses taken for each discipline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
At the fall open house they said they have around 50-60 that switch every year and that they do so easily. However, that is switching into very similar engineering fields, like mechanical to mechatronics. You cannot switch from like environmental to nano or things that aren't related.

If you have a very distinct change, you'll need to do summer school or take an extra semester. The core courses may be similar in all of them, but there still are unique courses to each field you're going to lose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
I also believe you can only switch after 1st semester. There seems to be two program specific course to each program, so you'll likely have to repeat those.

I know the ECE program became more specific in first year, starting 2010. Though, some changes may just be cosmetic, like changing a course name from Physics for Engineers to Physics of Electrical Engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@plato wrote
I also believe you can only switch after 1st semester. There seems to be two program specific course to each program, so you'll likely have to repeat those.

I know the ECE program became more specific in first year, starting 2010. Though, some changes may just be cosmetic, like changing a course name from Physics for Engineers to Physics of Electrical Engineering.

o Im pretty sure you can apply for a switch any time, it's just that most people know they want to make the switch by the end of first term so they do it by then.

But yesh, all engineers take the same linear algebra except for ECE students, there are 2 diff. physics courses (1 for ECE/SE students, 1 for every1 else), there are 2 diff calc courses (1 for ECE/SE/Nano, 1 for every1 else), and your other 2 courses will relate to your field of study. this is first term...

2nd term a lot of engineers go on coop, or if youre still there, your calc course will be split up like 1st term, same with physics. but yeah things really start to differ afterwards.

Oh and since engineers have different streams, you might not be in stream with the program you switch into, so you'd lag at most 1 term.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skyper Skyper
Thank you very much!

And just for the sake of the argument, lets say i switch from mechanical to electrical and i have done the calc class, will it still be credited even if its technically not the same course number or you just need to restart it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Would it be possible to change from computer science to software engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sammy1993 sammy1993
You can switch from any engineering branch if you contact your corresponding academic advisors. I am trying to change my program from computer engineering to software engineering, but if your destination program is stream-8 and you are enrolled in stream-4s, you might have to take two consecutive study terms, or if you are having to take two consecutive work terms, the authorities will make sure you don't have more than 6 work terms in the long run. You will be allowed a seventh work term only if there is no shortage of jobs for other students in the faculty. But its always possible!
Was this helpful? Yes 0