yconic - How Hard is it to get into SFU Sciences?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How Hard is it to get into SFU Sciences?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I really want to get into SFU Sciences and then major in the program called "Management and System Sciences".

But I don't think my marks will be good enough to get into SFU straight from high school though so I'm planning to go to college first. I already applied to Langara and got accepted. Is Langara a good college to go to if I want to get into SFU by transfer? Or is Kwantlen, Douglas, or Capilano better for SFU transfer?

Also, how hard is it to transfer from Langara to SFU Sciences?

Here are my 1st term marks of some of my courses:

English 12: 71% ( LPI, I know)
Math 12: 81%
Biology 12: 88%
Physics 12: 78%
Chemistry 12: 77%

So I calculated if I used ENG 12, MATH 12, BIO 12, and PHYS 12, the average would be 80%. I still have 2nd term and hopefully I can do better to pull up my average.

I know last years Science admission average was 80%, but I doubt it will be that this year. If I am able to pull my average up to say, 84%, how likely would it be that I get accepted? Or should I just get ready for Langara( or some other college)?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of ghonchehd ghonchehd
this is sorta off topic but what is the minimun average to get so u dont have to write the LPI?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You need minimum 80% in English 12 to not have to write the LPI exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wonderfulxchan wonderfulxchan
Hi I am trying to go into UBC general Sciences and I have a 90% average so far but I am afraid my marks will drop in term2. Will it affect a lot if my marks drop during term 2?

Thank you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@wonderfulxchan wrote
Hi I am trying to go into UBC general Sciences and I have a 90% average so far but I am afraid my marks will drop in term2. Will it affect a lot if my marks drop during term 2?

Thank you

This might be wrong but my friends told me that UBC only looks at your term 2 marks. And that SFU, you can choose which term you want them to look at by only reporting either term 1 or 2 or both. Again, I'm not completely sure about that, just what my friends told me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@wonderfulxchan wrote

Thank you

The cut-off for UBC Sciences is usually around 90.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I spoke to an advisor down at SFU two weeks ago. She was telling me that she expected Sciences to admit at 82% or so, but they were still "formulating results".

I think you definitely have a shot at it. You only need to go up a few percent, and you have quite a bit of time left to do so. Plus, there's always provincials for this, if you're semestered.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@wonderfulxchan wrote

Thank you

If you're concerned that your marks aren't high enough, try doing the supplemental too! If your marks really don't match up at the end and they don't admit you based on your marks, they may still look at your supplemental and offer you a place if you have some good ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When I went for the SFU Supertour a while back, I remember them saying that the SFU Sciences admission cut off is going to be in the mid-80's to high 80's, but that's tentative depending on the number of people that apply.
I also applied for Langara in fear that I might not get accepted into UBC, but I think that would be your best option if you're insistent on one year of college before transferring, especially since Langara has the Arts and Sciences transfer program!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
When I went for the SFU Supertour a while back, I remember them saying that the SFU Sciences admission cut off is going to be in the mid-80's to high 80's, but that's tentative depending on the number of people that apply.
I also applied for Langara in fear that I might not get accepted into UBC, but I think that would be your best option if you're insistent on one year of college before transferring, especially since Langara has the Arts and Sciences transfer program!

Thanks for your reply. I'm just worried because I heard that it's actually very hard to transfer from Langara into SFU.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KittShelby wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

Thanks for your reply. I'm just worried because I heard that it's actually very hard to transfer from Langara into SFU.

I think it's pretty difficult to transfer from any post-secondary institution to another. You have to keep your GPA up and you have to make sure you have all the pre-req courses that are required to transfer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christinathompson christinathompson
Ok my sister did worse than you and see got straight into university with no problems! I think you sould be fine. Just straighten up for next semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BugNerd BugNerd
I went to Douglas College, did an Arts degree and then transferred to SFU sciences from there. It's not very difficult, plus it's less expensive and in my opinion the courses are easier.

You could also apply for another faculty at SFU and then simply switch majors at a later point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Douglas and SFU have a partnership program
You have to be accepted to SFU to be in it, but you can join as long as you have less than an associate degree's worth of credits (might be around 60, or 2 years, not sure)
That means you can go to Douglas, get good grades (probably a good idea to take that transition course or whatever where they teach you how to take notes and stuff), take courses at SFU and Douglas at the same time, and...
I dunno, it just seems like a good option to me, check it out =)

P.S. that's what i'm planning on doing ;) even though my marks are good
Was this helpful? Yes 0