yconic - How hard is it to keep an 80%+ average at Western?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How hard is it to keep an 80%+ average at Western?

A photo of ott93 ott93
I applied to Western for Biological and Medical Sciences. I also applied to Ivey for AEO. If given AEO status, I must maintain an average of over 80% for the first two years of university. Is this difficult to achieve for a strong (low-mid 90s) high school student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of cjdepatie cjdepatie
Probably depends on how hard you're willing to work, and if you're willing to sacrifice your social life a little bit at times.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX
There is a common misconception for all high school students and even undergrad students. Every university program is difficult to maintain a 80%+ anywhere in North America.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger

@FiresinX wrote
There is a common misconception for all high school students and even undergrad students. Every university program is difficult to maintain a 80%+ anywhere in North America.

Really? so if i am a 90s student applying to a life science program that only requires a 65% admission, it'll be just as hard maintaining the same mark as if i were in a 85% admission life science program at a different school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@ott93 wrote
I applied to Western for Biological and Medical Sciences. I also applied to Ivey for AEO. If given AEO status, I must maintain an average of over 80% for the first two years of university. Is this difficult to achieve for a strong (low-mid 90s) high school student?

You have to work quite hard...90s are really rare!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@Pharger wrote

@FiresinX wrote

Really? so if i am a 90s student applying to a life science program that only requires a 65% admission, it'll be just as hard maintaining the same mark as if i were in a 85% admission life science program at a different school?

Lol it's not true. People that say all universities are the same are the ones in the program that requires 65% admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
A friend of mine had a grade 12 average of around 76%. Now he is in UOIT life sciences and he has a 3.6 GPA (80%). Some people drop and other rise. I also have a friend in engineering at Ryerson and he is failing. He had a 76% in grade 12. So I don't think it is fair to compare high school with university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@ott93 wrote

If you're willing to work hard, you should be able to get over an 80% average especially if you choose an elective that you enjoy and can therefore get a high mark in. However, most people in Western bio-med don't get over 80%, the average in most of the courses is high 60-low 70.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No one can tell you how hard it will be. Personally, I got the same marks as you in HS, and currently am getting high 80's at Western Biomed. However, some people rise, some people fall (a lot), and most people are somewhere in between. It really depends on how hard you work, how you study, and whether you can focus when it seems like everyone else is having fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I work hard and have an average of about 95% presently in first year (mind you not at Western). It's not impossible.

Also, the idea that easy to get in = easy to get marks in is a fallacy. To be more accurate, entry averages are merely reflective of the number of people a university turns down. For example, if they say they want 1000 people in arts, then they'll take the highest 1000, and whether that means the cutoff is 70 or 80 that does not reflect the difficulty of classes in any way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
If you don't put the effort in, you're not going to make it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX

@Pharger wrote

@FiresinX wrote

The truth is that your highschool average doesn't really have anything to do with your GPA in university. Some kids with 90's averages get in and start failing because their highschool gave out easy marks...so just cause your a 90's student it doesn't mean anything. Your 90's could be equivalent to 80's at another school....therefore bottom line is that your still going to have to work hard anywhere you go to maintain a high GPA. If you disagree, go to university and you'll see what i mean. Entrance marks are set for the number of seats available in each program and is why they fluctuate every year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
If you are willing to study 1 hour at home for every 1 hour of lecture, then you will get 80+ no problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0