yconic - How hard is't to get a GPA of 3.6+?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How hard is't to get a GPA of 3.6+?

A photo of harmony harmony
I'm currently in high school..When I was doing some research about some progrms I'm thinking of going in to..they expect high GPA from u in your 1st preschool year..
Man..I'm kinda freaking out already..
Anyways, just wanna ask, how hard is't to get a GPA of 3.6+? In general science especially..and if u want to get those kind of mark, what do u have to do then to achieve it? thank!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
52 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Pretty hard if you think is it can be abbreviated to is't.

A GPA of 3.6 is easy. No sweat. Shouldn't be a problem if you're dedicated, motivated, and do your work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@ARMY101 wrote

A GPA of 3.6 is easy. No sweat. Shouldn't be a problem if you're dedicated, motivated, and do your work.

Just do that and any mark is achievable

Don't forget to party sometimes too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Just do that and any mark is achievable

Don't forget to party sometimes too

Thanks U 2!
I feel better now. I though it was IMPOSSIBLE to achieve..unless u are some sort of smarty~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, I am very smart (hence my consistent posts of brilliance on these forums) but it's not unattainable to anyone who works hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Army's right. If you want a 3.6, then you should be able to pull it off. It may take some hours spent in the library, but you can pull it off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@harmony wrote
they expect high GPA from u in your 1st preschool year..

I didn't know universities were looking at preschool marks now. Rough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@harmony wrote
they expect high GPA from u in your 1st preschool year..

I didn't know universities were looking at preschool marks now. Rough.

U have to have prerequisites for some programs, such as pharm. dent. etc like that, which universities do look at ur prerequisites marks..So I was kinda freaking out..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Preschool marks? Hunh?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Not hard. Even in my worst semester so far where I was taking 6 courses (majority of them sciences - genetics, organic chem, anatomy & physiology, etc), going through personal issues, and ended up with a C+ in one course, my GPA was still 3.7 something for the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
GPA of ~3.6 is obtainable if you study hard.
It's not too hard, but then it takes commitment.

I just turned 17 a while ago and did my first semester. I took all the "core" courses of first year Business/Commerce. My Core GPA is 3.75 (of course, take English out and it'll be >4), and after I take my electives I expect to hit 4.0. Now getting there was hell for me.. but then I learned that it's easily obtainable as long as you put the time and energy into it.

Now, a GPA of 4+, is what I'll call "hard". That's 90%+; little room for error. Screw up one test bad and you'll completely crush any hope you have.
I find that anything 85+ becomes progressively harder. 90+ is when it gets VERY hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote
GPA of ~3.6 is obtainable if you study hard.
It's not too hard, but then it takes commitment.

I just turned 17 a while ago and did my first semester. I took all the "core" courses of first year Business/Commerce. My Core GPA is 3.75 (of course, take English out and it'll be >4), and after I take my electives I expect to hit 4.0. Now getting there was hell for me.. but then I learned that it's easily obtainable as long as you put the time and energy into it.

Now, a GPA of 4+, is what I'll call "hard". That's 90%+; little room for error. Screw up one test bad and you'll completely crush any hope you have.
I find that anything 85+ becomes progressively harder. 90+ is when it gets VERY hard.

Thanks for ur answer..
I guess I forgot to mension..I think UofA is based on a max GPA of 4 sort of thing..So I wonder how hard is it now..
Sry I should've mention that a while ago..My bad..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Oh, we have a max GPA of 4.33.
So in that case, getting 3.6 will be hard for ya. That's roughly 91%.
However, if you put your heart into it, you don't have to be a "super smart kid" to get it. OK, 3.7-3.8 sure..

I find that getting into the high 80s takes work, but is easily doable if you put the time and energy into it. So, getting roughly ~3.5 on your scale shouldn't be too hard, given that you don't get lazy. Above that, it's going to get rough.

There was a report done at Queen's University regarding first year students' experiences. They concluded that on average, first year students' overall average drops 15% from their high school average.

For example, a kid got a 95% average in high school. He/she will usually end up with a first year university average of roughly 80%.

Following this example, in your case, if you're getting 95+ in high school then you shouldn't worry too much.

I always found the report to be just a scare, but then it does make sense when I look around at my first year peers. Those who have obtained lots of C+ and B grades in high school often just barely pass their first year courses. The typical "party" kid with high school C+s and down usually fails.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ A person with a 3.6 GPA probably got mostly 80s in his courses, with a high 70 in a course or two or a mid 70 in one course. Might also be a person who got high 80s and low 90s in most of his courses but did poorly (high 60s or lower) in one course.

At U of A, I believe the curve is the norm. This means your percentage marks and average don't mean a damn thing. It's all about how well you do relative to the rest of the class. To get a 3.6 GPA, you'd need to consistently be in the upper third of your classes.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote
Oh, we have a max GPA of 4.33.
So in that case, getting 3.6 will be hard for ya. That's roughly 91%.
However, if you put your heart into it, you don't have to be a "super smart kid" to get it. OK, 3.7-3.8 sure..

I find that getting into the high 80s takes work, but is easily doable if you put the time and energy into it. So, getting roughly ~3.5 on your scale shouldn't be too hard, given that you don't get lazy. Above that, it's going to get rough.

There was a report done at Queen's University regarding first year students' experiences. They concluded that on average, first year students' overall average drops 15% from their high school average.

For example, a kid got a 95% average in high school. He/she will usually end up with a first year university average of roughly 80%.

Following this example, in your case, if you're getting 95+ in high school then you shouldn't worry too much.

I always found the report to be just a scare, but then it does make sense when I look around at my first year peers. Those who have obtained lots of C+ and B grades in high school often just barely pass their first year courses. The typical "party" kid with high school C+s and down usually fails.

Gee..getting a 91% in uni.'s pretty tough man..
I guess I've got no choice but to study hard

actually, about ur report about dropping 15% in uni. the first year..doesn't high school teachers say it all the time? like, if u have a 90% in grade 10, then you'll get 10% less or stuff like that? I don't know..I seems to improve every year..=D So hopefully I'll do good in my preschool years too. Hopefully.
Thanks for ur help and advise! I'll try my best to follow it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I want to say a big thank you for all of u guys' explination and answers! I feel I need to work hard from now on to meet my goal in the future!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of devi devi
Don't have it in your head that its impossible to get a 4.0, let alone a 3.6. I just finished my first semester at guelph (chemistry major) and went there thinking it would be impossible to maintain my marks from highschool because everyone on these forums say its so much harder. The workload is INTENSE and the content is not too hard in my opinion compared to grade 12, (granted you understand the ins and outs of the subject - they WILL put questions intending to "trick" you.)

I pulled off a 4.0 first semester with a 90.6% overall average. I did not do AP or IB in highschool or anything like that. So if you understand everything in your grade 12 courses you can definitely achieve a 4.0 if you put the work in. It is stressful as hell, you will want to die or drop out occasionally but you gotta keep at it.

Maybe I'll do a more comprehensive analysis of my first year after next semester for the people going to first year next year later (I remember cheesecake did this and it helped me a lot). But the main thing is you should literally be doing something productive every single night during the week, and the weekend you should find time to chill/party. Once midterms kick in its a different story, there was literally no time to waste and there were no nights where I could say to myself "ok I'm done all my work now I can just do nothing or go party or whatever tonight". This phase lasted all the way until finals were done but I knew after it all I had 3 weeks to do nothing on christmas break soooo thats how I managed.

PS. I was in a similar situation where I was worried about my GPA to go into a professional school but now I'm confident I can do well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@devi wrote
Don't have it in your head that its impossible to get a 4.0, let alone a 3.6. I just finished my first semester at guelph (chemistry major) and went there thinking it would be impossible to maintain my marks from highschool because everyone on these forums say its so much harder. The workload is INTENSE and the content is not too hard in my opinion compared to grade 12, (granted you understand the ins and outs of the subject - they WILL put questions intending to "trick" you.)

I pulled off a 4.0 first semester with a 90.6% overall average. I did not do AP or IB in highschool or anything like that. So if you understand everything in your grade 12 courses you can definitely achieve a 4.0 if you put the work in. It is stressful as hell, you will want to die or drop out occasionally but you gotta keep at it.

Maybe I'll do a more comprehensive analysis of my first year after next semester for the people going to first year next year later (I remember cheesecake did this and it helped me a lot). But the main thing is you should literally be doing something productive every single night during the week, and the weekend you should find time to chill/party. Once midterms kick in its a different story, there was literally no time to waste and there were no nights where I could say to myself "ok I'm done all my work now I can just do nothing or go party or whatever tonight". This phase lasted all the way until finals were done but I knew after it all I had 3 weeks to do nothing on christmas break soooo thats how I managed.

PS. I was in a similar situation where I was worried about my GPA to go into a professional school but now I'm confident I can do well.

Thank you so much for the info.
I didn't take IB or AP either..I don't think our school even offers AP..unfortunatelly..So the info u give me is really handy.
Then I suppose u gotta sleep late on weekdays and get more sleep on the weekend to be able to follow along right?
Thanks for the advice and tips. I mean..I do understand if u want to achieve something great in the future, u gotta sacrifice something to get it.
Party and such can wait..=W= education is number 1 isn't it?
PS: I heard in university u gotta have ur own study gang..If u wanna do well, u have to have friends to help u..unlike high school, doing things by ur self is always okay.
Actually, I'm a little scared of sharing a room with another person..It makes it hard to focus when someone else is there..somehow I find it bothersome..LOL..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CaseyT CaseyT
It's really not difficult at all, if you set youre mind to it and set your priorities straight, its very easy. Not to mention good study and work habits :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@CaseyT wrote
It's really not difficult at all, if you set youre mind to it and set your priorities straight, its very easy. Not to mention good study and work habits :)

That's pretty optimistic. Not everyone who wants a 3.6 gets a 3.6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Illuminar Illuminar
It depends on the program and the school. A 3.6 in engineering is a lot harder than in communications. Some schools are grade inflated and others curve. That said, last year I'd have thought a 3.6 was pretty fucking hard, this year it's easily within reach.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
^True but remember marking in science is a lot less subjective than arts... It's pretty much impossible to get 100% anymore in arts. (In one of my courses, they go by letter grades.. A+ is the highest you can get. They convert that to a 93%. Very big WTF moment for me)

A 3.6 is pretty damn hard, but attainable. If you get around 90's in high school, a 3.6 is realistic with a good work ethic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@treecows wrote
^True but remember marking in science is a lot less subjective than arts... It's pretty much impossible to get 100% anymore in arts. (In one of my courses, they go by letter grades.. A+ is the highest you can get. They convert that to a 93%. Very big WTF moment for me)

A 3.6 is pretty damn hard, but attainable. If you get around 90's in high school, a 3.6 is realistic with a good work ethic.

Thanks. Actually this is the mark u have to have if u wanna become a pharm. for dent. it's more like 3.8..this is what I call WTF..that's crazy..

but LOL, thanks for ur last comment, it's quite encouraging..I feel better already! Gotta work hard!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted