yconic - How important are extracurricular activities?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How important are extracurricular activities?

A photo of Element1674 Element1674
I'm mainly concerned about this; I have absolutely no EC's but fairly high grades. Will I screwed (I'm probably going to apply to Physics/Chemistry)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Most programs and schools don't care about ECs for admission
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Not important for science programs. Pretty much only business programs place a high emphasis on ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I disagree with the fact that having good EC's is useless for Science programs. Matter of fact, Queen's Science and McMaster Health Sci emphasize a LOT on your EC's. Thus, having some EC experience in your pocket is beneficial. However, there is little need for EC's if you have a high avg, but yet again, having them is a plus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@MehGah wrote
I disagree with the fact that having good EC's is useless for Science programs. Matter of fact, Queen's Science and McMaster Health Sci emphasize a LOT on your EC's. Thus, having some EC experience in your pocket is beneficial. However, there is little need for EC's if you have a high avg, but yet again, having them is a plus.

Not sure where you got this info, but Mac health sci doesn't emphasize ECs at all. The supp app does not ask for any ECs, it's simply 3 essay questions and you're not expected to talk about them.

The Queen's PSE does place some emphasis on ECs but still not that much (especially in comparison to business programs). You can get it with great grades and mediocre ECs easily. True, ECs will only help if you don't have high grades but they are by no means necessary.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi
EC's are beneficial, and they put the "cherry on top" of your application anywhere. I do believe that EC's also improve one as a person along with highlighting their resume.

I myself didn't have many EC's in gr 10 and 11, but I started getting involved, and I have learned numerous things from the EC's I've done and I'm a better student, and an individual on the whole now.

It's true that you do not need EC's just to get into most universities, but they're essential when applying for scholarships.
Even anywhere beyond university, whether you're applying for a part-time job, or want to volunteer somewhere, they will always look at your resume.

You decide, which person is a stronger applicant for anything, someone involved, active, and well-balanced with a strong academic average, or someone who has an excellent academic average and not so much anything else.

I am in no way trying to discourage you, but instead trying to motivate you to try more things and explore the world. After all, school isn't the only thing important for growth, and being a well-balanced, successful, and active individual.

Just try something out, you'll love it. I've really benefited a lot, and I hope you do too. :)

And as far as grades are concerned, I had a good average before I was involved, but after I was involved, I had an even better average, probably because I learned so many new things, and key attributes like time-management, creativity, and such.

Good luck regardless! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0