yconic - How important are volunteer hours?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How important are volunteer hours?

A photo of leaves02 leaves02
Now I have 79 hours, but is more the better? do they have an effect on the admission decision? thank you ~ :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of g93 g93
The more the better. They help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG
They are important but don't forget about work experience, its important too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Sorry, I might be hallucinating here but did you apply to 15 programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
And apparently if he gets accepted to McGill and UBC he will be attending them at the same time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
If you're talking about the volunteer hours you submit to your high school, those don't matter as long as you have 40. Universities only receive a transcript with a checkmark that indicates that you have completed 40 hours.

For more competitive programs, you will need to complete an Admission Information Form (Supplementary Form or other name) where you'll indicate extracurriculars, work experience, volunteerism and other things you have done in the last X years. This is where universities will weigh your contributions.

Quality > Quantity!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed

@saber33 wrote
And apparently if he gets accepted to McGill and UBC he will be attending them at the same time.

LOL :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BigBMan BigBMan

@Arctic wrote
If you're talking about the volunteer hours you submit to your high school, those don't matter as long as you have 40. Universities only receive a transcript with a checkmark that indicates that you have completed 40 hours.

For more competitive programs, you will need to complete an Admission Information Form (Supplementary Form or other name) where you'll indicate extracurriculars, work experience, volunteerism and other things you have done in the last X years. This is where universities will weigh your contributions.

Quality > Quantity!

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MelanieROACH MelanieROACH
Volunteer hours show you are dedicated and you are able to balance many activities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of igill igill
When getting admissions into undergraduate programs, universities only check to see if yo have completed 40 hours.

But volunteer hours are important when, for example, you are applying to medical schools or anywhere else after you finish your undergraduate degree.

I am not too sure about any other programs besides medical, but I know for a fact that many universities look at your volunteer hours and what organizations you have been part of and most of the time that is the deciding factor.

In some cases, people with the highest marks but no volunteering compared to people with average marks with lots of volunteering will not be accepted. Volunteering is really important.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I had over 600 hours :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Around 200 hours would be more than enough. Just do something which will benefit you in a long term.

Right now I am volunteering at the Food Bank. I only go to Special Events. For example, a new bank branch opened and I went volunteering there with a Food Bank organization. I got a chance to talk to a couple of managers and employers who work at that bank.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@igill wrote
When getting admissions into undergraduate programs, universities only check to see if yo have completed 40 hours.

But volunteer hours are important when, for example, you are applying to medical schools or anywhere else after you finish your undergraduate degree.

I am not too sure about any other programs besides medical, but I know for a fact that many universities look at your volunteer hours and what organizations you have been part of and most of the time that is the deciding factor.

In some cases, people with the highest marks but no volunteering compared to people with average marks with lots of volunteering will not be accepted. Volunteering is really important.

Many undergraduate entry programs don't even consider volunteering at all (only a supplementary form for scholarships). LifeSci at UofT for example doesn't assess anything that's not a mark at all.

By the time you apply for med school, any volunteering you did before you went into university better have been replaced by new/better ones! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of analyst analyst
leaves, unless you want to be the next Mother Teresa, forget about the number of volunteer hours and focus on how you want your volunteer experience to reflect on your essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0