yconic - How important is English for CS @ Waterloo?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How important is English for CS @ Waterloo?

A photo of iRamie iRamie
If my English mark is ~ 80, and my Advance Functions and Calculus are both mid/high 80s, is there a chance that I can get into CS @ Waterloo?

They say that the top 6 count, but my other top 3 are all high

TEJ4M 94
ICS4U 99
SCH4U 87

If you add my English, MHF4U and MCV4U mark, my average will be around 89%.

Is that enough for Waterloo CS? The reason I'm worried is because they might not care about my other 3 as they care about English, and AF and Calculus.

My AIF is really strong as well.

Robotics and CS Club founder and president.
Top 50 in DWITE.
Hoping for top 40 in CCC.
Distinction in all Math Contests i previously wrote.
Computer Science and Engineering award in my school a couple years (Excellent overall Achievement).
Doing some Database Access programming for a few companies (MySQL and PHP).

What was the cutoff last year?

If i want to do the software engineering option with CS, what year do i have to start specializing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
English is not important, but it's an automatic top 6 prerequisite for every university almost.
So it'll be counted.

How could you have gotten math contest distinctions? You don't have over 90 in Advanced Functions/Calculus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@rightsaidfred wrote
English is not important, but it's an automatic top 6 prerequisite for every university almost.
So it'll be counted.

How could you have gotten math contest distinctions? You don't have over 90 in Advanced Functions/Calculus?

LOL my high school is highly competitive, especially for mathematics.

i HAD a 90 in MHF4U, my rationals functions test brought it down 5%, FML.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@rightsaidfred wrote
So it'll be counted.

I disagree, English is in the top three marks considered for CS. MHF4U, MCV4U, ENG4U. That said, a mark of ~80 as the OP stated, is satisfactory provided the other two remain above 85%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
How important is English for...

LIFE, maybe?

This seems to be a recurring theme. People asking about English. Sure, no one cares about your high school English mark except the admissions office. However, you *really really really* need to know how to write and communicate effectively. For high school, you should have at minimum an 80 if you consider yourself university material (jeez people, high school is not that hard ><).

But beyond that, everyone with a university level education should emerge being able to write papers as well as a second year Arts student, regardless of faculty. End of story. If you can't, you're severely disadvantaged. You should take some hard English courses in order to figure out how. Not everyone can write like a god, but there's certainly room for improvement.

Ehh, just a rant. Too many people act as though once high school is over, you should forget about English. Being able to communicate, especially in a field like CS where pretty much all your peers forgot about English after high school is absolutely invaluable. It makes you so, so employable. Keep that in mind ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of plato plato

@greygoose wrote
How important is English for...

LIFE, maybe?

This seems to be a recurring theme. People asking about English. Sure, no one cares about your high school English mark except the admissions office. However, you *really really really* need to know how to write and communicate effectively. For high school, you should have at minimum an 80 if you consider yourself university material (jeez people, high school is not that hard ><).

But beyond that, everyone with a university level education should emerge being able to write papers as well as a second year Arts student, regardless of faculty. End of story. If you can't, you're severely disadvantaged. You should take some hard English courses in order to figure out how. Not everyone can write like a god, but there's certainly room for improvement.

Ehh, just a rant. Too many people act as though once high school is over, you should forget about English. Being able to communicate, especially in a field like CS where pretty much all your peers forgot about English after high school is absolutely invaluable. It makes you so, so employable. Keep that in mind ;)

Well said, even if, ironically enough, it lacked any significant prose, lol. J/k.

The only way to learn how to write effectively is to actually do it. So it disheartens me to see students writing at the 3rd grade level on everything from Facebook to forums. Sure, no one is going to give you extra marks for writing well on some anonymous forum. But writing like dis is not going to do anything 4 u in terms of writing well.

I highly encourage people to read as much as possible. You'll learn so much above effective writing from consuming it.

Okay have 2 go talk 2 da baws, l8r :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0