yconic - How important is math?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How important is math?

A photo of murtadikhan murtadikhan
I'm an average high school student looking to apply into a Bachelor of Arts undergraduate programs at UofT and Ryerson.

I've considered of applying to the business program at Ryerson. (Ted Rogers)
But one of the pre-requisites is to take at least one 12U Math course.

Math isn't one of my best subjects and I'm wondering how important it is at university level.
Just want to know how significant math is in a business program?

I don't want to take the easy route by just taking Data Management because I figure the program would require Calculus at some point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Redprince Redprince
I heard that you just have to take math course (calculus) once or twice in university. Than again, I could be wrong.

My opinion is that you should take data management so, the mark will be in your top 6. But, take calculus for knowledge and preparation for the calculus you have to take in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Calculus is quite important. I don't know what curriculum is for Ryerson, but I know that most business programs require you to take first year calculus. Calculus can also be a prerequisite for upper year economics and in turn, upper year finance courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@onlymatthew wrote
Calculus is quite important. I don't know what curriculum is for Ryerson, but I know that most business programs require you to take first year calculus. Calculus can also be a prerequisite for upper year economics and in turn, upper year finance courses.

There is no calc in Ivey's curriculum.. or Schulich's. Where do you get the idea upper year finance courses require calculus? because they don't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@CMA2014 wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

There is no calc in Ivey's curriculum.. or Schulich's. Where do you get the idea upper year finance courses require calculus? because they don't.

I wasn't talking about Ivey, I was talking about MOS. You need calculus to take second year economics and second year economics to specialize in the finance module.

http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg1109.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@onlymatthew wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

I wasn't talking about Ivey, I was talking about MOS. You need calculus to take second year economics and second year economics to specialize in the finance module.

you have to realize that MOS is retarded, and not even a real business program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mydearjennifer mydearjennifer

@CMA2014 wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

you have to realize that MOS is retarded, and not even a real business program.

You have to realize that your lack of professionalism and basic etiquette in your response will prevent you from succeeding in the business world.
Was this helpful? Yes 0