yconic - How is residence different from what you expected?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How is residence different from what you expected?

A photo of ShadGrad ShadGrad
I'm trying to decide if I want to live in residence next year and I was wondering if any university students (or graduates) who have lived in residence could provide some information.

I've heard so many things about residence and I have all sorts of expectations based on what I've heard, but it's so hard to tell if it will be right for me.

So, what did you think residence would be like? How is it different (or the same) from what you expected?

I'm mostly interested in Queen's, but comments from students at any school would be appreciated :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Smothy88 Smothy88
Before I came to university I thought rez was really rowdy, small, loud, girls walking around in towels... kind of everything like you see in movies but not that extreme.

After a semester of living here rez held up some expectations. It is loud, if people are just talking outside the door you can hear them and if someone next door is playing music and your trying to study, you'll have to find another place. Also during the weekends it can get pretty loud and rowdy with people yelling and loud music playing.

As for different, rez rooms are actually bigger than I thought. There still not all that big but I managed to fit everything I needed in here and still have room. I also thought people would be drinking everywhere (playing beer pong and flip cup in the halls) but the dons are pretty strict and will not let this happen. You can't even walk down the hallway with a beer if your underage but if you drink in someones room and keep the noise at a reasonable level you should be fine. Lastly, coed bathrooms, girls walking around in towels and all that stuff doesn't really happen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheConsultant TheConsultant
Res was fun, i still miss it even though i have moved into the queen's ghetto now. While living off campus is fun becasue you have much more freedom, res meant you didnt have to cook and clan which is a win in my book. My floor was fun, we partied together and always had stuff going on and music playing, but when it came to studying we got right down to it. exam week was pitch silence.we had coed bathrooms on my floor too and the girls and guys were in towels, not that i was complaining. and honestly its not a big deal, they are covered up and going back to their room, its not like they stop by your room in towels to play a game a beer pong before putting on some clothes. Res is a fun time, just be open to meeting new people. keep in mind that everyone feels new and out of place and everyone is just looking for friendly people to be frined with and have a good time. So even if your not the most extrovert person, just put in the extra effort to be more open for frosh week and youll be set for the rest of the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
What I expected: Me eating out a lot - I lived in an apartment style so I didnt expect myself to cook. But my roomies enjoyed cooking, so we split the grocery bill and I ended up eating with them and cooking and baking.

I think I expected to meet more people in res, but due to the lack of activity on my floor (we were a really quiet floor), I didn't really make friends through res. You usually meet more people through traditional res.

I enjoyed the convenience and safety of res, but I am glad that I'm living off campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I expected to gain the freshman 15 (or at least gain weight) from eating campus food/eating out all the time. What actually happened was that I lost weight from all the walking around campus and I lived in a suite style rez so I had a kitchen and was able to cook my own food/bring food from home, and I didn't eat on campus for every meal.

I also expected there to be lots of hooking up in rez, and yes this happened. When you live on rez, everyone sees who goes in and out of your suite/room so rumours spread very quickly. By the end of frosh week, it was already known who was hooking up with who in my rez.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512

@ShadGrad wrote
I'm trying to decide if I want to live in residence next year and I was wondering if any university students (or graduates) who have lived in residence could provide some information.

Just do it. It's a good experience.

One of the coolest things is how you can just walk right over to your friend's place if you feel like it. It's very convenient, unlike back at home where I'd have to drive to everyone's place and round them up.

I thought I'd meet more people, but I barely know everyone on my floor. That could just be because I'm in a suite style dorm.

My friend is at Queen's in Leggat, and he loves it. It seems to be wayy different from the dorm I'm in.
*summons Zion*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I expected there to be more theft and such in residence, especially with double and triple rooms. What I found is that no one ever had anything stolen from them in the two years I've been here (first year, and now second year for other reasons).

I really advise that everyone lives in residence first year. It's the best way to make friends and meet new people, and you also have a smoother transition from dependent living (if you're coming from living with parents). There are people in residence paid to support you and provide you guidance with whatever you need. These are services you just won't get outside of residence. Going into post-secondary education is a huge leap - I say go to residence in order to make all the changes less abrupt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Residence met my (realistic) expectations. Sure there were some times when someone on my floor would blare music late at night (actually this was a very rare instance and never happened during exam times), but 99% of the time rez was good to me. Like andrewk512, I absolutely loved that you had so many friends in one building. I've never played so much poker in my life. If I was bored, sitting in my room, well, there was always something going on. Rez was also the place where I met most of my good friends. Overall, rez was an A+ experience for me, and I think nearly everyone who is going to school away from home should try it in their first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

^ No way living off campus is going to cost you only $5,000. A reasonable rent (with utilities) to pay for a room in a house is $500/month - that's on the low end. Because 12-month leases are the norm, you have to expect to pay this amount for 12 months, even if you only live there for 8 months. So already you're looking at about $6,000 in rent and utilities. Then you have to add on groceries and eating out, which will probably happen fairly often when you then have to cook for yourself. I think $400/month is pretty typical. Multiply that by 8 months, and you have $3,200 in food. In total, that's $9,200 to live off-campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
^ No way living off campus is going to cost you only $5,000. A reasonable rent (with utilities) to pay for a room in a house is $500/month - that's on the low end. Because 12-month leases are the norm, you have to expect to pay this amount for 12 months, even if you only live there for 8 months. So already you're looking at about $6,000 in rent and utilities. Then you have to add on groceries and eating out, which will probably happen fairly often when you then have to cook for yourself. I think $400/month is pretty typical. Multiply that by 8 months, and you have $3,200 in food. In total, that's $9,200 to live off-campus.

Which option is financially more cost effective?
In other words what's cheaper :P

Residence or Off-Campus Living in Student based housing?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

In general, living off-campus is cheaper than living in rez. There are also more options off-campus, some of which will be considerably cheaper than rez (e.g. a room in a small basement suite a distance away from campus), while others can be considerably more expensive (e.g. a one-bedroom apartment in a nice building in a good location).

Staying in rez for your first year is usually a good idea, as it is a good intermediary to living on your own, a great spot for meeting people, and just a fun environment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mmdocUofT mmdocUofT
Hey I live in residence at U of T and it is amazing!! It is super duper quiet no noise unless you go to library! Its the best experience ever I didn't actually want to live on res but it turned out to be the best thing ever even when taking 5 courses and needing lots of help with assignments campus provides lots of help for new students and integration into residence is great! People are amazing! UTSC is the best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mmdocUofT mmdocUofT
Hey I live in residence at U of T and it is amazing!! It is super duper quiet no noise unless you go to library! Its the best experience ever I didn't actually want to live on res but it turned out to be the best thing ever even when taking 5 courses and needing lots of help with assignments campus provides lots of help for new students and integration into residence is great! People are amazing! UTSC is the best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mystic93 Mystic93
It's a lot of money, there are so many horror stories about bad roommates (I was in a very bad situation with some), walls are paper thin (aka you hear everything, yes, if your roommates bring people home you listen to that all night). Overall lets face it, it's a couple hundred 18-19 year olds together, respect and maturity goes out the window.

Positives are that you are close to people so you do meet a lot of people and you have a lot of access to good parties and gathering and such but I wouldn't consider it as a 'must do university experience' like everyone says.

Stupid amount of debt vs. less debt and less potential stress and more sleep... I prefer the last one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of taiwen taiwen
I go to Western and live in one of the most amazing traditional residences they offer. There is always the chance that you may not get the perfect roomate or floormates but there are hundreds of other people you can meet in the residence. I am fortunate to have an amazing floor that has the same study habits and party habits. We love having fun, but we get crackin down when it counts. You meet so many people on residence and it is a great way to make friends if you do not know many people coming in to the school. There is traditional and suite style residences to help you pick a better lifestyle that suits you (say if you want your own kitchen, etc). Most universities also have floor themes where you can request to be on a floor where everyone is in the same program or have the same interests (aka healthy living floor, leadership floor, etc). My own personal experience, I would say try the residence for the first year but I do know that the Off-Campus crew at western is still amazing and the students also have an amazing time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0