How many courses can you take a year in university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How many courses can you take a year in university?

A photo of harmony harmony
Since I live in Calgary AB, I know u can take 14 courses per year. <br>I&#39;m not sure if is the same for all university. <br>I&#39;m mainly asking for University of Alberta if any know the max number of courses u can take in UofA. <br>Thanks again! =D <br>
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
14 courses a year? Holy moly!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It's generally done by credits, not courses. A half credit is a one semester course, and a full credit is a two semester course. You're usually allowed to take 5 credits per year, with 6 being defined as an overload (that's okay but they caution about the workload).

www.ualberta.ca for more information.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@kaloolah wrote
14 courses a year? Holy moly!

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Depends on your program. In my program, in 1st year we weren't allowed to overload and could only take 10 courses/year, but in second year we were allowed to overload up to 12 courses/year. In third year they didn't let us overload again (so 10 courses/year), and I have no idea about 4th yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Here in BC, I believe we can do 15 a year.

Three semesters: Winter/Summer/Fall, max of 16 credits each.
3 credits/course; 5 coureses/semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of harmony harmony
U guys, thanks for the info!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@forthewinwin wrote
Here in BC, I believe we can do 15 a year.

Three semesters: Winter/Summer/Fall, max of 16 credits each.
3 credits/course; 5 coureses/semester.

Ah, of course. The trimester strikes again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I can't believe u have 15! that sounds really hard !Im sure ill be okay with 10 first year ! lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Every school offers a third semester (Summer semester); it's just considered the extra semester. That is, it's not really part of the school year.

I don't like talking in courses because you could take only five courses a year and it'd sound like you have it easy, but you're actually taking five full-year courses a year, which is really just equivalent to taking ten half-year courses. Thus, you generally take 5.0 credits per year (1.0 credit = full-year course, 0.5 credits = half-year course).

At Western, the most you could take in one semester was 3.0 credits, for a total of 6.0 credits a year (again, "year" does not include summer semester).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashbidd ashbidd
In pre-med we need to have a minimum of 39 credits in 2 semesters, which means 17 courses (including 11 courses (3 credits) and 6 labs (1 credit)) per year in two semesters and I'm doing 2 more in the summer because I'm a bit behind (I go to Université de Moncton).

Right now I'm taking (starting in two weeks) :
Bio 1233
Bio 1281 (lab)
Chim 1023
Chim 1081 (lab)
Fran 1500
Math 1063
Phys 1103
Phys 1191 (lab)

I'm supposed to have 9 courses but because of something that happend in highschool (my schedual was messed up so I'm behind in math, and since I need math to do physics in University, I'm behind in that too) I can't.

So yeah, 15 courses isn't that bad lol

And if you guys don't believe me : http://www.umoncton.ca/repertoire/1er_cycle/prog_sc_dss.htm :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Every school offers a third semester (Summer semester); it's just considered the extra semester. That is, it's not really part of the school year.

Then it's not a trimester. Schools like SFU actually have three normal terms, and students can pick two of which to attend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shesoartsy shesoartsy

@harmony wrote
Since I live in Calgary AB, I know u can take 14 courses per year.
I'm not sure if is the same for all university.
I'm mainly asking for University of Alberta if any know the max number of courses u can take in UofA.
Thanks again! =D

same with uoit
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ashbidd wrote
So, yeah, 15 courses isn't that bad lol

The lab section of a lecture course doesn't really count as a "course" in and of itself. Maybe at your school, but typically that is not considered a course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Zion wrote

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

Then it's not a trimester. Schools like SFU actually have three normal terms, and students can pick two of which to attend.

The person I quoted said "semester," not trimester. And if that's the case, and you only pick two of the three terms, then you still only end up with 5.0 credits or 30 units a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0