yconic - How many courses per semester for university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How many courses per semester for university?

A photo of 6x7 6x7
Hi there,

I am planning to apply to U of T, and was wondering how many courses one takes per semester. Also, if those courses change per semester, or if they stay the same. By that, I mean, do you take 10 courses per year, take the first 5 in the first semester, and take another five in the second? Or do you just take 5 courses throughout the whole year. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Typically 5 courses/sem for a total of 10 courses/year, though you can also overload (ie. take 6 or 7) or do 6 and 4 courses (depending on whether your mandatory courses allow you to do that).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
And keep in mind U of T charges a flat tuition fee regardless of the number of courses you take. Normal course load is 5 per semester, engineers might take 6 or 7
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@inthemaking wrote
Typically 5 courses/sem for a total of 10 courses/year, though you can also overload (ie. take 6 or 7) or do 6 and 4 courses (depending on whether your mandatory courses allow you to do that).

Okay, I know this is stupid to ask, so 10 different courses per year then?
I know UWO offer 5-6 courses, but they stretch for the two semesters, so they are technically "10-12 courses"

So do you mean that, or just 10 different courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes, 10 courses per year. If they are full year courses then you will probably have fewer hours of class per week, so will take more classes per semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
Ah I now I see. The full year courses count as two courses then. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0