yconic - How many courses should I take?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How many courses should I take?

A photo of pulse pulse
Hi, I am currently enrolled in my first year of university and was just wondering if anyone knew about any repercussions of taking 4 courses instead of 5 per semester? I am hoping to attend medical school, and am really worried that taking 4 courses will cause me an issue. Thanks in advance for any help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Professional schools like seeing a full courseload, so, yes, taking only four courses a semester is probably not the best idea for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Always take a full course load if you're planning on any kind of professional school. Some won't count prereqs that aren't taken during full time semesters. Plus they want to see that you can handle a full course load in undergrad because if you can't then you're not the best candidate for med school (which has a way tougher course load).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pulse pulse
Thanks for the advice. I am taking 5 right now, but I know as a fact my GPA would be a lot higher if I took 4. Would it be okay if I took 4 courses now, and did 3 in the summer to balance it out, or does that not make a difference? Also, are these conditions the same for applying for my Masters, or possibly Veterinary School?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I don't think it makes a difference (for med school) but I'm not entirely sure. No idea about Master's.

For vet school, OVC requires at least 4 full time semesters, aka if you take a full course load, the first time you can apply is after 2nd year. If you take non-full time semesters, then you will just have to wait longer to apply until you've completed 2 years worth of full time semesters (and for the full time semesters, you have to take 5 courses/sem unless you obtain special written permission from your department allowing you to take 6 and 4 courses rather than the standard 5 and 5 - but either way, you have to take 10 courses/academic year). The GPA calculation for admission to OVC is calculated based on a) the 8 prereq courses, which must be taken during full time semesters (ie. you can't take them during the summer or in a semester with <5 courses), and b) your last 2 full time semesters' GPA. I didn't look into other vet schools so I'm not sure about their academic requirements, sorry. http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/dvm/admissions/academic/

If you have any other questions about vet school, feel free to PM me, I'm currently in my 1st year at OVC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Taking summer courses to lighten the load in other semesters will impact your application for a variety of med schools. They will all explicitly state how they treat stuff like this, so start researching.
Was this helpful? Yes 0