yconic - How many hours a day does a CA work?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How many hours a day does a CA work?

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier
the title says it all
also if different firms have different hours please state that too
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of g93 g93
It will vary soooo much.

If you narrow it down to CAs working at public accounting firms, it will still vary. There are many that usually work 9-5, but there are some who work a ton. Tax season everyone will work more and in the summer usually people work less.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
It will vary soooo much.

If you narrow it down to CAs working at public accounting firms, it will still vary. There are many that usually work 9-5, but there are some who work a ton. Tax season everyone will work more and in the summer usually people work less.

what are your estimates for these seasons?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@universityapplier wrote
the title says it all
also if different firms have different hours please state that too

I have friends who've worked in public accounting and they tell me that the hours are terrible during busy season. I've heard of people easily having to do 16 hours/day during the busy season. Though it really does depend on a variety of other factors. The hours are probably a lot better outside public accounting, but you pretty much have to pass that hurdle if you want to get your CA...there is no such thing as free lunch right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
Are you asking about CAs in public or industry accounting?

Also, as a general rule, larger firms tend to have longer hours.

The hours vary so much you'll never get an answer. I'm not a CA, but from what I've heard from those in the industry, CAs tend to have less of a work life balance than CGAs/CMAs, but more so than those in fiance like iBanking.

If you're looking for a good work life balance I've heard CMA is a less stressful path.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smothy88 Smothy88
I think you guys have it all wrong. A CA really isn't a stressful job at all. During tax season it will pick up a bit but you won't be working 16 hours a day.
I have friends who are doing coop with bdo and kmpg who have told me the partners really don't have to do anything than sign off. They obviously do more then just sign there names but it isn't anywhere near as stressful as finance.
As for me I would rather be more involved and will pursue a career in industry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@universityapplier wrote

@g93 wrote
It will vary soooo much.

what are your estimates for these seasons?

It really depends on the firm.

One CA I know who owns his own firm works ~50 hours a week. During busy season it gets up to 70 hours, sometimes a little more. During the summer, he plays a ton of golf, takes a week or two off for vacation (sometimes more) and only shows up for a few hours Fridays (some of the other workers at his firm take Fridays off).

Another CA who was working at a mid-sized firm worked a little over 40 hours a week. During tax season, he got up to 70-80 hours. During the summer, he took some vacation time, left some days after lunch, and never showed up on Fridays. He came in once on a Friday and was laughed at by the partner. He never did that again.

It's really going to vary. A bigger firm might demand more hours of you, a really small firm might as well since there could only be 1-4 people working there. A bigger firm will usually have more work during the summer.

In general, you are going to work more in tax season and less in the summer. You usually won't work that much more than 9-5 but it's definitely possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
@g93

How much do these guys make (ballpark)? Just because it seems like they've got it good so have they been there for a while and are older guys? It makes sense though because young people get the bad hours and the guys who've been there longer get better ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote
@g93

How much do these guys make (ballpark)? Just because it seems like they've got it good so have they been there for a while and are older guys? It makes sense though because young people get the bad hours and the guys who've been there longer get better ones.

The second one is young. He has been a CA for a little over a year now. All he would say is that he makes a little over the average but not by much.

The first one is older. I don't know exactly how much he makes, but he definitely makes a good wage judging by the lifestyle he is able to live.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote
@g93

The second one is young. He has been a CA for a little over a year now. All he would say is that he makes a little over the average but not by much.

The first one is older. I don't know exactly how much he makes, but he definitely makes a good wage judging by the lifestyle he is able to live.

Think I'm leaning towards a CA now. Just seems like what I'm looking for (decent pay, generally good hours).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
My dad is a CMA and is the controller for a large-ish company. He works easily 60 hours a week and works really weird hours (by his choosing). Sometimes he'll go to work at 4am and get home at 6pm or something like that. During year end it gets more ridiculous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote
@g93

Think I'm leaning towards a CA now. Just seems like what I'm looking for (decent pay, generally good hours).

What about what you WANT and LOVE to do? Money and hours mean nothing if you don't like the job...

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@unigirl123101 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote
@g93

What about what you WANT and LOVE to do? Money and hours mean nothing if you don't like the job...

+ 1

First consider what you want to do. Then consider the pay/hours/lifestyle/benefits/etc. If you work hard enough you can make ends meet in almost any field. Don't just go through to be a CA if you're going to end up hating it. If you actually like the work you will be doing and are deciding between it and something else, definitely consider work-life balance, pay, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@unigirl123101 wrote

+ 1

First consider what you want to do. Then consider the pay/hours/lifestyle/benefits/etc. If you work hard enough you can make ends meet in almost any field. Don't just go through to be a CA if you're going to end up hating it. If you actually like the work you will be doing and are deciding between it and something else, definitely consider work-life balance, pay, etc.

Sorry I totally blanked, yeah I do but I mean it's all subject to change because I'll learn A LOT more in university than high school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you guys think of this Idea:

All my life I wanted to become a firefighter, I have the physique and i am motivated
BUT I also want to become a CA.

What ideas can you guys give me on this thought?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
CA by day, firefighter by night...best idea
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
CA by day, firefighter by night...best idea

I'm not sure if what they hours of a part time fire fighter is, but your average firefighter works 24 hours in a day then takes two days off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@universityapplier wrote
What do you guys think of this Idea:

All my life I wanted to become a firefighter, I have the physique and i am motivated
BUT I also want to become a CA.

What ideas can you guys give me on this thought?

Decide what one you want more. You might be able to join a volunteer fire department while you are in school or possibly after a few years of working and getting your scheduling down pat (note you're going to need a 9-5 job, won't work to be working 16 hour days).

I think most fire departments either have 24 hour days or are currently switching to 24 hour days.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
A part time fire fighter = a volunteer fire fighter. You can't be a CA and a fire fighter. Pick one
Was this helpful? Yes 0