yconic - How many hours to get before applying
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How many hours to get before applying

A photo of Uzi3 Uzi3
As I am in gr 11, with 40 hours , just to boost my university application for next year, how many more hours do you guys advice me getting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of g93 g93
As many as you can, in different areas.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uzi3 Uzi3
I already got 40 at a Camp.

I am thinking 60-100 at a Retirement place.

Then maybe another 40 somewhere else.

Where have you volunteered and how many in total?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Uzi3 wrote
I already got 40 at a Camp.

I am thinking 60-100 at a Retirement place.

Then maybe another 40 somewhere else.

Where have you volunteered and how many in total?

Not enough :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of igill igill
You need a minimum of 40 hours but as many as you can get would just be better for you!

Universities only check to see if you have 40 but when you finish your undergraduate degree and apply lets say to medical school, hours will be greatly counted !

Plus, I am pretty sure you get awards in high school for having the most awards :)

Keep volunteering!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Just try to get as many hours as possible in one area. I think that around 200 hours would be more than enough.

Just do something you like. Don't waste your time volunteering in an organization just to get X amount of volunteering hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
The total hours count means nothing! Nothing! It's only for your own ego! Our school didn't even want us to submit any once we were past the 40 mark!

Universities will only get a little checkmark on your transcript that acknowledges that you have completed 40 hours. No number! No detailed info!

If you want to affect the admissions process with your hard work, you had better complete any supplementary applications in full with your quality experiences. If you're applying for a program that's that doesn't require any supplementary applications.... that's it! You don't get anything for it! (Well... you could apply for scholarships I suppose.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Arctic wrote
The total hours count means nothing! Nothing! It's only for your own ego! Our school didn't even want us to submit any once we were past the 40 mark!

Universities will only get a little checkmark on your transcript that acknowledges that you have completed 40 hours. No number! No detailed info!

If you want to affect the admissions process with your hard work, you had better complete any supplementary applications in full with your quality experiences. If you're applying for a program that's that doesn't require any supplementary applications.... that's it! You don't get anything for it! (Well... you could apply for scholarships I suppose.)

The whole point is for supps and for scholarships, I think he knows you only need 40. Oh, plus there's the satisfaction of helping people out :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
But the scary thing is you're counting volunteer hours the old high school way.

Even for scholarships, they'll ask you for hours/week and period (like in a resume) and I'm sure they won't just sum up all the hours and see who has more. The whole 'Race to 200 hours using any means possible' seems sort of silly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Arctic wrote
But the scary thing is you're counting volunteer hours the old high school way.

Even for scholarships, they'll ask you for hours/week and period (like in a resume) and I'm sure they won't just sum up all the hours and see who has more. The whole 'Race to 200 hours using any means possible' seems sort of silly.

Any involvement will only help, they can't hurt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of analyst analyst
Who cares? Just as long as you get a great GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dachen dachen
Lol. I had 40hours of volunteering, on the dot, and I was accepted into everything I applied for. =D Your volunteer hours don't really matter as long as you have a high average and a good supp app, for those that require one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0