yconic - How many times have you changed your mind?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How many times have you changed your mind?

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
At the beginning of the year, I was set on becoming a CA. I wanted to go to Laurier and do either economics or BBA, and then move from there. About 2 months into semester 1 I was really hating accounting class, so I decided I wanted to take BMOS at Western instead and go into HR or something. Then I sort of went back to the CA thing, then changed my mind again and started doing extra applications for BBA and commerce programs everywhere. I kept figuring HR jobs wouldnt be that great, and that it would be nice to get a BBA background so I could think about starting my own business or something.....And now Im back to thinking about the CA thing. This seems like an endless cycle, how many of you out there have been changing your mind constantly?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Hurricaine Hurricaine
I'm sure a majority of students change their mind! I have had that problem as well. A lot of students also change their mind once in University.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Lots of people do change their mind. Some people may sorta regret a decision, or wonder what would have happened if they chose a different option. Don't dwell in the past, be focused on the present and the future.

Specifically for you- go to a BBA or BComm program. If you decide that accounting is the route for you, go for it (remember that Gr 11/12 Accounting is mostly bookkeeping). If you decide you want to go into Marketing or Finance, go for it. If you want to go into HR, go for it. You have lots of options in a full-business program. You can always switch streams. Maybe you'll find that you want to go into supply chain management. Just don't limity yourself by going to just an accounting program.

For myself, I had to decide a few years back if I wanted to go into engineering or business. I chose business. Do I wish I could be going into engineering right now? Yeah, kinda. It'd be cool. But am I excited to go for business and make a name for myself in the business world? Definitely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I haven't, but it's quite common. I was lucky in that I realized early on what I wanted to do and am still passionate about it. I have friends in 4th year who are about to graduate and still have no idea what they want to do, some people just need more time to figure it out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg
I've changed my mind way too many times. I thought I had my mind made up, but I had second thoughts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
LOL wayy too much to count....

engineering or business, prob switched my mind till i pressed submit for ouac..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I think I've only changed my mind once.
Growing up, I always thought I'd be a teacher.
But as the years progressed and I worked more closely with elementary school kids, I realized I had no patience for them and that my true passion lays in science..
So I changed my mind.
I HOPE I don't change my mind again once I get into university for real, but who knwows.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I am in the same boat as you bud, which is why I'm kinda afraid to step into specialized programs like AFM or Brock BAcc since I may get stuck with an Accounting degree like there is no tomorrow. [Again, there are pros and cons of doing this]

I am gonna just go with the flow for the first year or so in University and be open to everything. This way I'd get my own time and space to choose the right track for myself. Way to go!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I used to be the humanities-type (English, philosophy, languages, etc.) but I ended up considering chemistry, economics and urban planning quite seriously as I shifted more towards sciences. Linguistics is my passion (and has been for a few years), but in order to get a job I decided to combine it with computer science. Hopefully I stick to that route; I've invested way too many hours in researching what I might enjoy as it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jagseer Jagseer
well as u can probably tell by my signature, ive been going between CA and engineering
At application time i decided id either go to waterloo for AFM-PA, and if not id do engineering, but now i'm leaning heavily towards CA, and im almost 100 percent sure by now.
Just stick with ur gut, and dont overthink the decision
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I agree with Jagseer; stick with your gut or instincts and try not to over think it much or play the game of asking yourself "what if".
Nobody really know if their program will work for them until they actually start it, and even then only really once you start working.. but it's not worth all the stress. You should focus on having fun, learning about yourself, and meeting great people, etc.
I've applied to several programs involving healthcare. My "dream" isn't really specific or clear - all I really know is that it involves working with patients, helping other people in a health care setting. But I'm happy to know I'm open minded if ever things don't turn out great in my future program - I'll just move on and hopefully find something that works better for me. :)

Good luck! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
I've been tossing around law, academics and clinical psychology for a while now. I was thinking engineering this summer, and was set on being a doctor until the utter boredom of biochemistry was made known to me earlier this year. I've come some way because I've given up on "real science".
Was this helpful? Yes 0