yconic - How math intensive is finance?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How math intensive is finance?

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
Beyond first year calculus, would taking any additional math or even majoring in math give you an advantage if you're planning on pursuing finance?
and I know that the quantitative/analyst positions would be math-based, but what about the front office jobs too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@FunnyBone wrote
Beyond first year calculus, would taking any additional math or even majoring in math give you an advantage if you're planning on pursuing finance?
and I know that the quantitative/analyst positions would be math-based, but what about the front office jobs too?

FO jobs vary - you always need a decent quantiative comfort for all the jobs imo. S&T more so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
But to prepare for those jobs, you normally don't need to take math beyond the first year?
So I'm just wondering if it would give you any advantage to pursue a math degree as opposed to someone say in political science or MOS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster
There are history/politics/basket weaving majors doing S&T, IBD, and Research. U really only need to know addition, multiplication, subtraction, division, and exponents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@BSchoolMaster wrote
There are history/politics/basket weaving majors doing S&T, IBD, and Research. U really only need to know addition, multiplication, subtraction, division, and exponents.

Ya, I'm getting a basket-weaving degree at Nipissing, then heading to Wall Street! woo hoo!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@BSchoolMaster wrote

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@BSchoolMaster wrote

+1

Unless you want to do quant work in which case your probably better off with a math or engineering undergrad degree and then masters in finance or financial engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0