yconic - How much can I get? And how can I get more?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How much can I get? And how can I get more?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ipanda wrote
My grandparents have custody over me (my parents live in America and they won't be able to help me out financially) and their combined earning is about 30-40k annually. The thing is, only my grandmother pays taxes because my grandfather sorta does "under the table" construction and so he's not paying taxes. IIRC, OSAP requires that you must report the amount shown on your parent's T4 (I think). What should I write on the OSAP application regarding my grandfather's income (he has no T4)? Will they ask me on whose money am I surviving on if I don't report my grandfather's earning? etc

Write the amount of money your grandparents make. Don't try and scam or defraud anyone.

How much do you think I can get from OSAP? I've no car. I'll be working in the summer and as of now, I've ~4000 saved up. I'm applying to universities outside of Toronto and will be living in residence.

Use the OSAP aid calculator.

Also, I believe my grandparents are going to retire this year, would it be possible to get an appeal with this? My family is mad poor, there's eight people living in a cramped house..

You could try, but appeals don't usually work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

@ipanda wrote
My grandparents have custody over me (my parents live in America and they won't be able to help me out financially) and their combined earning is about 30-40k annually. The thing is, only my grandmother pays taxes because my grandfather sorta does "under the table" construction and so he's not paying taxes. IIRC, OSAP requires that you must report the amount shown on your parent's T4 (I think). What should I write on the OSAP application regarding my grandfather's income (he has no T4)? Will they ask me on whose money am I surviving on if I don't report my grandfather's earning? etc

Write the amount of money your grandparents make. Don't try and scam or defraud anyone.

How much do you think I can get from OSAP? I've no car. I'll be working in the summer and as of now, I've ~4000 saved up. I'm applying to universities outside of Toronto and will be living in residence.

Also, I believe my grandparents are going to retire this year, would it be possible to get an appeal with this? My family is mad poor, there's eight people living in a cramped house..

You could try, but appeals don't usually work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

Well I dunno..but would this bring up a legal issue since it is under the table after all?.. And does OSAP only verify the income with the CRA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ipanda wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Well I dunno..but would this bring up a legal issue since it is under the table after all?.. And does OSAP only verify the income with the CRA?

They call it "under the table" work because it is hidden and illegal! If you're caught lying, and your grandparents have income they are not reporting, you can and WILL be caught, fined, forced to repay the loan, and jailed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poohbear poohbear
There are a lot of scholarships avaliable, you just have to take the time to look for them. You can get an unlimited amount of money
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of breanneeagnew breanneeagnew

@ARMY101 wrote

He may not be in ontario
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes I am from Ontario. And from my friends' experiences, OSAP gives less than the amount calculated using their aid calculator..but yeah forget about that.

edit: had a nice long chat with my parents and it turns out they actually do report their income. guess theres nothing for me to worry bout now. silly me :o
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JamieMctavish JamieMctavish
if you keep getting scholarships and you also apply for osap you can get a ton of money. just gotta remember the only problem is you gotta pay back sooner or later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@breanneeagnew wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

He may not be in ontario

Then you can't get OSAP...
Was this helpful? Yes 0