yconic - How much do supplemental essays weigh in these unis?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How much do supplemental essays weigh in these unis?

A photo of linlinlin0109 linlinlin0109
Guys, how much do supplemental essays weigh in these unis?
-->Ivey
-->Queen's Commerce
-->Rotman
-->Laurier

I do know that they do weigh a LOT in Ivey and QC.
But what about Rotman? The school reps did say they do look at that...but I dont really think so.
As for Laurier, I recently noticed that they have a form which includes a couple questions. Does anyone wanna do that? Cuz they said they largely look at ur grades.

Thx.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Laurier only looks at the ABS if you fall below the cutoff (typically 1-3% below). The form is mandatory for these people. Some don't hand it in, so they will not get in. People with good ECs and a well-written ABS wil lmost likely get in.

If you are 90 and over, don't bother doing it. If you're in the 80s, it'd be worth it to just hand it in and get it out of the way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of linlinlin0109 linlinlin0109

@g93 wrote
Laurier only looks at the ABS if you fall below the cutoff (typically 1-3% below). The form is mandatory for these people. Some don't hand it in, so they will not get in. People with good ECs and a well-written ABS wil lmost likely get in.

If you are 90 and over, don't bother doing it. If you're in the 80s, it'd be worth it to just hand it in and get it out of the way.

Im probably getting high 80s to low90s.
The deadline for ABS is mid-April, do u think it would be okay for me to write it if i dont get an offer until late March?
Cuz I had pretty good marks for my grade 11s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@linlinlin0109 wrote

@g93 wrote

Im probably getting high 80s to low90s.
The deadline for ABS is mid-April, do u think it would be okay for me to write it if i dont get an offer until late March?
Cuz I had pretty good marks for my grade 11s.

They probably won't even need to look at your ABS. My marks are about the same as yours. I figure if I do really well with first semester marks, (projected average 90 and up) then I won't bother. If I mess up exams and my 1st semester marks aren't stellar, (high 80s-90 projected) I will just hand it in. And if my 2nd semester marks arent doing so well, I'll hand it in if I can. As long as you get it in before the deadline.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think they post the cutoff so you can see if you need it anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0