yconic - How much will my grade 11 average affect admissions?
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How much will my grade 11 average affect admissions?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
US applicant here (dual citizen though; family lives in Canada but I go to a prep school in the US). I will be applying to Queen's Commerce, Western Ivey AEO, UofT Rotman, McGill Desautels, York Schulich, and a few other schools all for finance (or related to it). I was wondering how much my 11th grade average matters for admission. I had a mid 80s average last year, but was leaning towards the high 80s by the end of the year. This year, however, my first mid-quarter average was a 95.5, and expecting around there for my first quarter grades. How much will my 11th grade average affect me for admissions? I have pretty strong standardized testing scores, a really big hook, a few decent ECs, and good essays. Also, will not taking Calc (taking Pre-Calc this year) be a big problem for admissions as well? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

Grade 11 has 0 factor in anything. Unless you’re wanting to go to a less competitive program, that’s the only time they look into Grade 11 marks so they can admit you early. After early admissions, only Grade 12 matters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I am awaiting for the Queen's acknowledgment email to apply, and they should come out within a week or so. I'm done all of my Queen's application stuff, so I want to apply asap. Is this still considered early admissions? Would it be best for me to wait? I just feel as if I will have a better chance by applying now. For the rest of the schools, although I may apply earlier to Western, I have to wait until early/mid November to get my first quarter grades, and ACT score (that I'll be retaking in late October).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you apply now and don't get early admissions, you will still be considered for an offer. Most universities only offer about 10-20% of program placements as early offers. It doesn't hurt to apply early .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Rather than the opinion of 'Grade 11 doesn't matter', I would say it DOES.

In Ontario at least, only September to December marks for grade 12 are able to be seen by universities.  They can see your WHOLE grade 11 year, giving them a better judgement of your academic performance.  The final mark they get from grade 12 are only the 'projected' marks the teacher has given the university. 

The programs that you listed are relatively competitive.  I believe your grade 11 marks will have a slight impact on your candidacy, but what's more important is focusing on maintaining that grade 12 average and refining your supplementaries. 

As for Calc, you should have read the course requirements for each program.  If it says 'recommended/strongly recommended', it's not REQUIRED, but it would probably help you in uni.  
Was this helpful? Yes 0