yconic - How promising is a Career in Agriculture?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How promising is a Career in Agriculture?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm in grade 12 right now and I plan to study Agriculture at the University of Alberta. Mainly focusing on "Agricultural Business Management", which is the program I'm planning to go into. I'm also interested in marketing too.

Are there a lot of management jobs in the Agricultural industry at the moment or in the near future? What about marketing jobs in the agricultural industry?

And do you think it's a good career choice?

thanks.

ETA: it's a bachelor of science in agriculture btw
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of ChelseeDecker ChelseeDecker
the agriculture industry is declining a lot more these days.
and you;d most likely have to go to school for agriculture then
do another two years or so in business however out west
you probably wouldn't have a hard time finding work.
i know environmental studies is a bit off from agriculture,
but if it interests you at all, its a new field
thats slowly growing and they're trying to expand it so people
who go into the environmental field are getting paid very well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
Humans will always need to eat.

While "farming" is in decline as a career, agriculture will always be important to Canada's economy. I'm sure there's a lot of information online about this question. Try looking up organizations which represent Canadian agricultural workers or Canadian companies which make money in agriculture.

Something that I'm pretty sure would be very promising is agricultural technology (e.g engineering processes and genetic engineering).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I reckon Aggie biz is just as demanded as any other form of business degree. Very few schools offer a specialization in agriculture (for a reason: it's not in that great of demand), but you'd obviously have an edge over a generic business student in applying for agriculture-related business jobs, things being otherwise equal. And I bet the demand:supply ratio of aggie biz students is higher than that of regular business students, if you know what I'm sayin.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of saber33 saber33
^Pervasive negative opinions of Agricultural Management has lead to a lack of Agricultural Managers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

No one wants to go into agricultural management, but there is a demand for people with agricultural management degrees; everyone wants to go into general management, but there isn't that great of a demand for people with general management degrees. Catch my drift?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of JensenJunior JensenJunior

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
No one wants to go into agricultural management, but there is a demand for people with agricultural management degrees; everyone wants to go into general management, but there isn't that great of a demand for people with general management degrees. Catch my drift?

now you are speaking normal english
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The problem with dumbing something down is that the dumbed-down version is less valid and/or less true than the abstract version.

A really dumb person could come along and say something along the lines of, "well, I want to go into agricultural management, so, in saying that no one wants to go into agricultural management, your argument is wrong right off the bat." And that person would be right, but only if he or she read only my dumbed-down version; that person would be wrong that my argument was incorrect if he or she read my first version.

Maybe I have too high expectations of this forum... (although I know of a few members who'd know exactly what I'm talking about)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted