yconic - How reliable is CUDO?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How reliable is CUDO?

A photo of Super Super
Someone introduced me to CUDO (http://www.cou.on.ca/statistics/cudo.aspx) which has a section that lists the % of students with certain entering average ranges for specific programs. The info seems to be published by the OUAC.

The section I'm mainly looking at is "B3 - Secondary School Averages of Full-Time, First Year Students".

There seems to be major dissimilarities with entering averages between universities for "Business & Commerce". I'm thinking that this has to do with some universities having dedicated business schools (i.e. Ivey, Rotman, Schulich) and others that combine regular programs taken at the university and the business schools. For instance,

Western's Business & Commerce
Percent who received an entering average between 90% and 94% 22.8%
Percent who received an entering average between 85% and 89% 41.7%

Queen's Business & Commerce
Percent who received an entering average between 90% and 94% 52.1%
Percent who received an entering average between 85% and 89% 27.5%

York's Business & Commerce
Percent who received an entering average between 90% and 94% 71.7%
Percent who received an entering average between 85% and 89% 14.4%

Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
The only one that is misleading is Western's imo...that's probably because Western's "Business and Commerce" doesn't only count people who get AEO status (i.e. they have high averages), they only count people who get into BMOS or whatever their business and commerce program is. Since not everyone in BMOS has AEO status, a lot of them have lower (read: under 90) averages, which brings down the number.
Queen's and York's numbers look fine since they don't have a separate business school at the undergrad level.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Victorinox Victorinox
more reliable than studentawards
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
I think that the numbers on cudo are the final averages for students. so that's why 14.4% of schulich is below 90: students grades dropped at the end of the year after they got admitted. not everyone though as they wanted scholarships/had good work habits/had no life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@iliketurtles wrote
The only one that is misleading is Western's imo...that's probably because Western's "Business and Commerce" doesn't only count people who get AEO status (i.e. they have high averages), they only count people who get into BMOS or whatever their business and commerce program is. Since not everyone in BMOS has AEO status, a lot of them have lower (read: under 90) averages, which brings down the number.
Queen's and York's numbers look fine since they don't have a separate business school at the undergrad level.

@thecookiemonster wrote
I think that the numbers on cudo are the final averages for students. so that's why 14.4% of schulich is below 90: students grades dropped at the end of the year after they got admitted. not everyone though as they wanted scholarships/had good work habits/had no life.

Thanks for the clarifications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0