yconic - How Shitty is a BA Degree in the Business World?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How Shitty is a BA Degree in the Business World?

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier
Im in Laurier's Economics and Accounting Honours, I have a lot of buddies talking smack to me... They say it in a joking manner but I am curious... how crappy is it?

Will I have restrictions?

Can I go for my Masters in Business/Accounting after, if so what is the process?

Im seriously getting paranoid, here is my thought about my degree.

"Finish Undergraduate, apply to CA firms, they look at my degree (which they frown upon), have numerous rejections"

HELPPPP
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Jamison Jamison
I honestly think your friends are disillusional. Why would CA frown on having a double major. I'm currently in the same boat as you. However I will supplement economics and accounting with certain designations - CFA Charteried Financial Analyst - requires you to take exams on various topics - ethics, economics, Quantitative Methods. Investment Analysis - risk management etc. By having a double major you are opening yourself for more jobs out their instead of just purely accounting. Their isn't that much of a different in a honour specialization and a major in accounting. 3.0 credits which equates to 3 - 5 courses. You can defiantly go for a master of accounting, it will just make it easier for you obtain that CA - courses taught are CA requirements. You can work with CA firms as an internship prior to finishing your double major or after. Or you can go straight for the masters and then work for a CA - overall you need good marks for the exam and experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jamison Jamison
No disrespect to your friends. Ironically my twin brother graduated from Laurier. A good school. I've luckily had the experience to helping auditors in a automotive firm - worked as an Accounts Payable Associate - and looking at these auditors - I was wow, I thought I was young. 3 - 4 young junior auditors - These students were most likely 2 - 4 year student with top marks overall within their program. Overall, it all comes down to ability. You can't get advanced unless you've achieved 70% minimum marks for CA, MBA, Masters, CFA, CGA, etc. You should explore other careers especially with that double major. I know CA make a very good salary however it comes with long hows of work. When I was working 9 hours or more, I thought that was a-lot. Those CA spent 10 - 12 or even half days working! You have to be prepared to give away your time to those long hours. Personally I would rather spend time making passive income and looking at the self employment side of the world then spend 60+ hours auditing.

Cheers Mate

Jamison
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@universityapplier wrote
Im in Laurier's Economics and Accounting Honours, I have a lot of buddies talking smack to me... They say it in a joking manner but I am curious... how crapty is it?

Will I have restrictions?

Can I go for my Masters in Business/Accounting after, if so what is the process?

Im seriously getting paranoid, here is my thought about my degree.

"Finish Undergraduate, apply to CA firms, they look at my degree (which they frown upon), have numerous rejections"

HELPPPP

Don't worry about it. You will be taking the same courses that your BBA friends will be taking (except you will take a couple less business courses and a couple extra econ courses). The program is fully-accredited by the ICAO. As long as you become a CA, employers are really not going to care that you were an HBAEA instead of an HBBA.

One of the problems I could see someone in a BA program running into would be finding jobs because of the lack of recruitment. At a school such as Queen's, the Commerce students are going to get more recruitment than the BA students. Many BA programs don't have co-op, and most of the students aren't in economics or interested in business jobs. Laurier, however, has the two programs (BBA and BA) very intertwined. I do believe that all of the recruitment will be for SBE students, not just BBA.

Also you do have co-op, so you can possibly gain experience through it or internships before you graduate.

As for Masters programs, you can apply to a MAcc program immediately, but most MBA programs require a fair bit of job experience- and you won't have much coming out of undergrad. You just have to make sure your grades are good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0