yconic - How to ask a teacher for a reference letter?
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to ask a teacher for a reference letter?

A photo of KevinL KevinL
I am just wondering how you guys asked your teacher(assuming you asked your teacher) for a reference letter? I am applying for shulich. Also do I print page 2 of the supplementary and show it to my teacher so he knows what to do, OR do I type the instructions out... so

"Reference letters should describe your role and responsibilities as well as verify the total number of hours dedicated to the activity. Your reference letters should be on official letterhead and should include the signature and contact information of the referees".

Thanks guys
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Tell him or her that you are applying to the Schulich School of Business and that you would appreciate a letter of reference to use in your application.

Also, make sure that teacher can actually substantiate an activity. It's a letter of reference, not recommendation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KevinL KevinL

@IanSharer wrote
Tell him or her that you are applying to the Schulich School of Business and that you would appreciate a letter of reference to use in your application.

Also, make sure that teacher can actually substantiate an activity. It's a letter of reference, not recommendation.

Okay thanks, how did you show the instructions to your teacher?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
Unless you can't afford to print out the page, it's a simple task of printing out the instructions and giving it to them. Do you really need help in order to do this? I can't imagine how you would act as a leader, hesitant as you seem to be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Just tell the teacher "I'm applying to _____ for _______ and I could use your help. Remember when I _________? Could you write a letter of reference for that activity?"

Even showing them the above quote in regards to what Schulich is looking for in the letter would be helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted